Grinding Noise front/center driver side 04 z71

Discussion in 'Chevy Tahoe Forum (GMC Yukon, Cadillac Escalade)' started by Diesel22, Apr 30, 2012.

1. Diesel22

Diesel22 New Member

Hello,
    I have a 2004 Tahoe z71 that has 113k miles on it. I was at the beach this past weekend and had to get into 4L to dance through a little bit of sand. When I went out later that night I noticed on left turns only I had a patterned grinding noise/vibration I could feel through the steering well. I have read many post and have just recently changed the wheel bearing assembly thinking that was the prob. Well after I took it for a spin right after it is still making the noise. Has anyone came across this issue?

2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

It could possibly be the bearing in the front diff assembly. I believe that they can be changed without pulling the diff. If could also be the one of the cv joints on the front cv shaft. If you have any rear end shops near you they should be able to take it for a test drive and tell you if the noise is from the front diff or not. Most places should do this for free. I had to replace the bearing on the drivers side of my diff in my yukon at 140,000 miles.

3. Diesel22

Diesel22 New Member

wanted to add that just outta curiousity this morning I took it out and put it in 4H to see if it was present then. Well it was more noticeable and also was happening when I made right hand turns as well. Still felt like front driver side. It only makes that grinding noise on left turns when in 2WD though. Thinking about replacing the CV Joint this afternoon, its only $70.

4. Pikey

I would have some one look at it if they will do it for free, Instead of just throwing parts at it. If the bearing in the diff is bad enough you might know it when you pull the cv shaft off.

5. Diesel22

Diesel22 New Member

another update, well I threw the $70 at it and replaced the CV shaft to no avail. Still has the noise. Now Im really stumped. Took it to a shop and they told me it could be the CV axle but it usually makes a clicking noise when goes out but still could cause the noise. Well I dont feel so bad cause I changed to of the parts for cost and not out any shop time. Hopefully I can fix this without bringing to shop now so I dont go way in the hole.

6. Pikey

Keep us updated on what you find out. I would be curious to hear what the issue was. Did you check the front u-joints? When you had the shaft off did you rotate the flange on the Front diff where the shaft connects, to rule out that it is not that bearing?

Last edited: May 2, 2012
  7. Tommy Panfish

Tommy Panfish New Member

Just went through this with my 04 Yukon........carrier bearing in diff.....$700.....get a good trans guy to look at it.

8. Pikey

Mine was the axle flange bearing in the front diff. I dont know if that is what it is actually called.

9. kennyb79

kennyb79 Rockstar 100 Posts

just curious, what did this end up being? how did you fix it?

10. Tommy Panfish

Tommy Panfish New Member

I had a good trans shop look at it. It was the front diff carrier bearings.....they were shot. They said they see a lot of them. $725. Money well spent.