1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Guess the Next Poster 2

Discussion in 'Games Forum' started by ChevyFan, Jun 7, 2013.

1. Curky

Curky Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

I hear you. I know sll about getting use to pain. It is crazy of what you body can become use to. I have chronic migraines since my brain surgery. They have had me on everything, no joke. The real pain meds worked but when I noticed the increase of amout and milligrams. I just deal with it. I dont want to rely on any narcotic and won't.
    I dont let mine beat me and you should not either. Sometimes it does knock you down though. Just keep getting up.
    Goldie next
  2. Goldie

Goldie Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Stopping in! Camaro/Curky sounds like you both have a good attitude. Hope you both can find a solution.
    C/R's up next.
  3. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Yup! Been a pain in the butt few weeks with the snow and now me being sick. Its made classes a pain too with random breaks and such.

Even tho I love college I'm beginning to second guess if its what I really want or what people want me to want. Sitting bored on weekends and times I have no class or work has got me thinking about what I really like to do and want to do. And well sitting in an office isn't what I want to do. I like working with my hands and building things. I also like being outside and wearing what ever I want.

I think I'm gonna talk to my parents about either deferring next year and trying out a program that will get me certified as a contractor or leaving the school and doing such. I really want to own my own buisness and have that kind of freedom. I also want to use my skills to help other make their houses a home. What do you guys think?

Curky next.
  4. Pikey

Pikey Active Member Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I know what you are saying. Matter of fact, I did the same thing. I went to college for a year after high school. Then I decided I wanted to work outside and use my hands. I became a union bricklayer. It was great at first. Heck, any 21 year old making $30 an hour with full benefits would be happy. Then my wife and I bought our home and started thinking about a family. You and I both live in cold weather states. In the winter I was unemployment ever year. ( I can't remember the exact percentage, but it is a high number of contractors that file for bankruptcy in February) If it rained for 2 weeks straight in the summer then I did not work. No work= no money for bills. I decided that I could not raise children not knowing if I was going to make money during any given week. So, I went back to school. Which now stinks, my parents would have paid for it or helped me pay for it after high school, now I am on my own doing so. Maybe as a general contractor you may be able to keep somewhat busy during the winter. I am just telling you my experience. If I could do it over again I would have stayed in school the first time. After you have your degree you can do whatever you want, at least you would have the degree to fall back on. Heck, I worked with lawyers and engineers that decided that they did not want those jobs and became bricklayers. Maybe look into another type of engineering rather than Mechanical, horticultural? Environmental, civil. I know that civil does not pay very much and environmental is in high demand.

As far as mechanical engineering goes, I was pretty bored the first year or 2. Then I started getting into fluids, heat transfer, thermal dynamics classes and I enjoy it much more.
    @Conlan Rose next
  5. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Having no work during winter/poor weather was a worry I had but if we keep having winters like this I would plow during the winter. For my company I wasn't really thinking of doing just say carpentry and only carpentry I was thinking more multi faceted like having landscaping, home renovation/remodeling, home construction, plowing, and Handy man. All those are things I already do and enjoy. I'm also not doing this alone I have one of my closest friends working with me. In high school we did work for family and friends all the time and had a great time and we would expand on that.

But in saying this if I don't like it you are right on being possible screwed, hence why I would rather defer for a year so I wouldn't lose my admittance to the school. I really need to talk to my dad about it because he him self is a small business owner (commercial architecture, engineering, and surveying) so he knows what I would need to do and also know the industry. The weird part is I love school and would also love doing what my degree would let me, but then I realize I also don't wanna leave where I'm from, which isnt where the industry I want is.
    [MENTION=51590]Pikey[/MENTION] next.
  6. Curky

Hope it all works out for you. You will not know for years if it was a good or bad choice. Good luck either way.
    My first day wY delayed till this Thursday due to weather. Im pretty sure I can stretch money till first payday but no way if delayed again. Nothing I can do but, hope. Comaro again
  7. Goldie

Since nobody's been around I thought I'd stop by and say hi to Curky. Tim did you get your first day in?
    C/R I wish I had some advice for you. And you are next.
  8. Curky

I did!!!! Today was my second day. It feels so good to work. I have more energy with working 9hrs a day. I love to work. I will be going to Columbus for 3 days for training. Might be driving a ford but as I told my boss, it is not in my drivway nor do I own it. So I'm fine. Lol
    Goldie again
  9. Goldie

That is great news Tim!! I very happy for you and for the fact that the Ford won't be in your driveway. If it was the neighbors would be day something like "Well, there goes the neighborhood!" or something close to that...!
    You're up again.
  10. Curky

so they got 2 new Fords ant the end of the season last year. They both had electronical issues and cought fire already. He has trying to get corporate to go to GM but I guess Ford gives them a killer deal. CR next