1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Guess the Next Poster - 2012 game

Discussion in 'Games Forum' started by ChevyFan, Jun 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rileyjr16

rileyjr16 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

Looks like he's not fast enough either to beat me. Hmmm donyms next
  2. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

My advice to you is this:
    • Eat the taxpayer-funded food and only that.
    • Consider it part of the job just like wearing the uniform is.
    Sure your buddies and others may be headed out and may even rib you about it, but you'll be saving your cash by socking as much of it away as you can. Every meal you don't buy out of your own pocket is cash you can put toward a mod you want. Better yet, every dime you save will help toward a downpayment on a home when you get out of the service and it's time to buy one.

Also, if you have a chance to do college work on the Navy's (i.e. taxpayers') dime, you should absolutely take it as they'll pay for school AND pay you to go. If you go career then being educated is a requirement if you want to be an officer (and you do, as they make healthy paychecks) ... and a master's is needed if you want serious advancement. If you don't intend to go career you still want the education so that you are competitive in the job world when you get out -- it's a VERY tough market, out there. Also, you might as well get paid to learn rather than having to pay to learn like civilians without scholarships must.

Consider this:
    If I'd done ROTC in college and then gone career military (which I planned to do but the first gulf war broke out and changed ALL of my plans) I'd have 6 more years until I could retire from the military. If I hadn't done ROTC it'd be 10 more (which still isn't long). In both cases I'd have some percentage of officer pay for the rest of my life after retirement AND health benefits AND I could pick up a job in the civilian world and work if I felt like it. (By comparison, I am 23 years from retirement age in civilian jobs and there's no health benefits in private sector civilian jobs, anymore. See the difference?!)

The military is a good life as an officer and the only tangible differences between civilian and military life are:

• In the military you always have a job (and can't quit)
    • In the military you always know who your boss is
    • In the military you are guaranteed three hots and a cot plus clothing and a paycheck -- and have none of these guarantees as a civilian

I regret not having served. It is, in fact, my one regret. And if I had served I'd have gone career and been living the advice I'm giving you. However when my mother begged me not to go in and my father (who is a veteran) suggested I take my mother's advice ... well, that's hard to ignore. :(

Riley's hopefully next to read this. I'm going back to my on board air system work.
  3. rileyjr16

Yeah i ate on the boat. Had chicken and something that resembled fish and potatoes. Surreal next
  4. Curky

Curky Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

agree Surreal might be next
  5. rileyjr16

Nope it is me. Sitting on the flight deck talking to Kate. Hmm donyms up in the morning
  6. 1953bowtieguy

1953bowtieguy Member 1 Year 500 Posts

Nope, surreal next
  7. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Good call. I'm finally home. Lots of truck work done today. It's funny how 12 hours of work doesn't look like much when done.

Curky in the morning...
  8. Curky

you got it Donyms next
  9. donyms

donyms Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I'm here, Curky again? :glasses:
  10. Curky

yep, Surreal maybe?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.