1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Guess the Next Poster - 2012 game

Discussion in 'Games Forum' started by ChevyFan, Jun 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

In my youth I was often classed as a goth and I still wear solid black (or a mixture of black and light black ... i.e. gray) 99% of the time -- tastefully tuned for the corporate world, of course. When lead singer Ian Curtis of Joy Division hung himself in his kitchen ... is about when I stopped listening to rock. Joy Division's members had made a pact that if they ever broke up they'd not play the same kind of music. The remaining members formed New Order ... an electronica band in the 80's ... and following them really took me down the electronica path.

I listen to electronic, club, dance, and trance most of the time -- and it's usually cranking in the truck, too. I also like some pop, gothic rock, classic rock, old school rap (think Public Enemy, LL Cool J, Run DMC, etc.) ... and a little bit of metal. I can't stand country music.

A friend remarked that my musical taste doesn't fit the stereotype for my truck, but agreed it absolutely goes with the transformers theme and suits me, as I eat/sleep/live/breathe in the high tech world. Heck, when I was in Austin I would often take my laptop to Ohms, a goth/industrial club that existed on 7th street in the late 90's with smoke machines, lasers, cage dancers, and DJ's playing hardcore electronica ... and do work. That's just how I roll.

Curky again...

P.S. I was also a raver, but none of that pacifer toting, stuffed animal carrying panzy stuff for me. I liked the scene and to dance. And I'm talking real raves ... the kind you had to be in the know to attend because they weren't advertised and were often impromptu setups.
  2. Curky

Curky New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I think I learn something new about you everyday. lol Well I have to go get the kid to get her jaw shaved. Sucks for her but sh** happens. Ill stop back sometime later. Surreal again
  3. SurrealOne

What's interesting about the video I linked is that Hyper Crush is a retro band. They mix modern pop with retro 80's synth. (The synth guitar in the video is a clue.) Heck, sometimes instead of the laser-shooting fingerless glove in the video, Fontaine will wear a modified Nintendo Power Glove (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_Glove) from 1989. :) They also worked sounds from Nintendo's Duck Hunt video game into one song, make Sega references, wear Hypercolor clothing in shows, etc.

My inner geek loves this band.

Curky again...
  4. Curky

[MENTION=50075]SurrealOne[/MENTION] on my cell and you know i cant spell so w/o spell check im screwed. this is your disclaimer - lol- lol, up till 12yrs old it was pop music. 12-16 it was medal, 16-20 gangter rap and the DOORS, 20-30 rap and the DOORS, alternitive, medal, techno, 30-33 straight medal. now i listen to the one thing i always hatted =country. see i have always had a problem since i was 12yrs old and that was my temper. i would get so mad i would black out. they put me on meds but when i turned 18 i quit meds because i could not afford them. i learned how to deal for the most part. it would come and go. that is also why i dont drink liquor anymore just beer. i figured my mood was afected by what i was listing to (not saying music causes violance) it just broght out my inner rage. after my brain surgery, my doc said my personalty could change. it did a little and i would get angry and irratated real quick. so i stated to listen to country and it keeps me calm. i know story sound a little wierd but it is what it is. surreal again
  5. SurrealOne

I got 12 hour doses of country music per day, 5 days a week ... for 3 solid months when I was rebuilding a VW bug into a baja bug from the floor pan up. Why? Because I traded my labor in a shop for a bay and assistance in said shop ... and the mechanics all listened to country. I've never liked it, since.

Trance is what keeps me calm ... or calms me down. Read the first 2 paragraphs of this, sometime, as it's accurate: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trance_music

Curky again...
  6. Curky

I will give it a shot. Sugestons on groups/bands? Surreal again
  7. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Super Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I'm going to pop in. I listen to classic rock, some country and what ever my girlfriend changes my radio to. classic rock like Queen, ACDC and band like them are my favorite.
    Curky next
  8. SupplySgt

SupplySgt New Member 100 Posts

I'm in from work finally. I've always listened to some form of rock as long as I've been listening to music. Mom always listened to 80s metal when I was growing up, Dad listened to classic rock (mainly from the 70s when he was in HS and college), and I listened to what is now known as 90s alternative. My musical tastes have definitely broadened. From a musical staindpoint, I tend to like the heavier forms of rock more and, with a few exceptions, generally don't like the newer stuff. I didn't like much in the way of country when I was younger, but with a lot of the newer artists having more of a rock influence, I've listened to it a lot more in the last 8 years or so. Jason Aldean is probably one of my favorites in country because of the fairly heavy southern rock influence with the country type lyrics (which I have found I relate to far more than anything else). I also like Zac Brown Band a lot in simple appreciation of their pure musical talent (I like Rush a lot for the same reason).

I do have a lot of variety in my music collection and I've gotten some interesting looks from people when I set my music on shuffle LOL. I really need to go through and just rewire all my speakers as I think my 20 year old speaker wiring is having trouble carrying enough current to supply my speakers (same type speakers and HU as I have in my Camaro but I rewired the Camaro myself with high quality wiring and it sounds way better at higher volumes).

Anyway, I'm gonna head to bed pretty shortly. I'm guessing donyms in the morning.
  9. donyms

donyms Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

You got it man, I think Surreal will be in soon............... :glasses:
  10. Curky

well, he was a no show. i'll go with CR next.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.