1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Guess the Next Poster - 2012 game

Discussion in 'Games Forum' started by ChevyFan, Jun 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Curky

Curky Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

you got me. What is the functionality of that? Surreal again
  2. 1953bowtieguy

1953bowtieguy Member 2 Years 500 Posts

nope curky next.
  3. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Once I add the compressor bracket, compressor, and a new (bigger) serpentine belt, the functionality will be an on board air system capable of airing up tires, running air horns, and running air tools.

An electric compressor is fine for airing up tires and running air horns, but is insufficient for air tools. By comparison, the York 210L compressor I have will easily produce 6 CFM and can produce up to 10CFM. This is plenty for air tools ... whereas a PAIR of 100% duty cycle Viair electric compressors can only do 3.84 CFM at best -- and the kit for it runs more than I've spent, so far. (Some info may help: My 1/2" drive air ratchet uses 3CFM at 90psi. Air saws run about 5 CFM at 90psi. Cut-off tools burn closer to 6CFM at 90psi. )

When you own acreage (which I'm trying to buy 111 acres) and want to build something in the middle of it -- running an extension cord is just not feasible. Getting the power company to run a line and provide a pole is costly. Buying a generator is not cheap, either ... and if you put one out there you must protect it from both the elements and theft, somehow -- which adds expense and worry -- and THEN you have to refuel it, which means you need to be able to easily get to it.

Or you could just run air tools off the truck -- and the occasional small electric via an inverter (which will be my next truck project once the OBA system is done). :)

SOL next...
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  4. SupplySgt

SupplySgt Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

I'm in real quick. Just three more days of work and I'm off to Oklahoma. Y'all take care. Curky in the morning.
  5. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

I'm in since no one else has popped in. [MENTION=50075]SurrealOne[/MENTION] seeing your project as it goes makes me really want OBA, but Tahoe has little to no under carriage space with is 30 gal tank, 4x4 components, exhaust and such. I may look in to a small trailer (800+lb capacity) to build a system on that would run from 12v inverted to 120v or a 120v house line. Still trying to find a decent compressor for inflating tires...

Donyms next.
  6. SurrealOne

If all you want is tire inflation consider putting a Viair electric compressor in the engine compartment where the second battery would go -- if that space is unused. You might need to extend the wires for the battery clamps to reach your battery ... and put a quick disconnect on it for your air line ... but that'd be about it. Electric compressors for tire inflation are pretty easy to do, in that regard. Aloxdaddy99 has a similar setup and he just pops the hood, clips the battery clamps onto his battery, and airs up when he needs to (for instance, after a low tire psi beach crawl). My needs were a bit more extensive...

I agree Donyms should be soon.
  7. Curky

nope, sorry i got in before him. @Surreal, I thought so but I was told to never assume. Pretty cool donyms up next
  8. donyms

donyms Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I'm here, Surreal I have been doing pneumatics for 25+ years if there is anything I can help with from this distance. :great: Surreal again..........
  9. SurrealOne

Thanks, Donyms! I think I have it covered. For whatever reason compression fittings and I do not get along...

I'll take a chance on Curky, next, even though I quoted Donyms.
  10. Curky

you got me! maybe donyms now?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.