1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Guess the Next Poster - 2012 game

Discussion in 'Games Forum' started by ChevyFan, Jun 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Taping? Yikes. I'd not tape them. 3/4" heat shrink tubing, instead -- that's the way to go. Marine grade (so that it seals) if you can afford the extra spend on it. Amazon sells it but it's spendy. I found that my local Fastenal seems to stock it in both black and red much, much cheaper than I can find marine grade 3/4" heat shrink anywhere else.

You have, no doubt, experienced the gooey mess that electrical tape eventually becomes over time, especially in the warmer months? You have, no doubt, seen the loose 'flags' (as I call them) of tape hanging off the ends of OEM-taped wires ... due to water, dirt, and debris eventually allowing the final wrap of the tape to lose adhesion to the next layer? Those are the things that you can expect to happen to taped connections as time passes. There's really no avoiding it when using electrical tape.

Now if you're using F4 tape, that's a different matter ... good stuff ... but it doesn't exactly look great. Liquid tape is another solution if you can allow for its cure time.

CR again...

2. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Amazon will only let me buy the heat shrink as an add on item..... So its in my cart waiting for me to make a more major purchases over $25. I found a way to fix the flag ends and that to seal them with some clear scotch tape which sticks to everything.

The tape is mainly temporary until I can get the shrink wrap. Personally I keep my tape connections very tight and clean so they won't fall apart and I do 2-3 wraps around.

Here are the wraps.
    IMG_20130508_161824_040.jpg IMG_20130508_162315_608.jpg

With clear tape.
    IMG_20130508_183733_811.jpg

Surreal again.

3. SurrealOne

@Conlan Rose -- Here's marine grade stuff via Amazon that's NOT an add-on item (Link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NI3LQ4). 3/4" is what's needed for 1/0 AWG. You can select from several sizes and options (more than when I last bought the stuff, as it was just 48" runs of black or red at that time). I've used it (it's what's in my truck) and recommend it ... but it's not cheap.

Sarge next...

Last edited: May 9, 2013
  4. SupplySgt

SupplySgt Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Yup I'm in briefly before bed. Rumor has it I'll finally be going back to third shift. If that's the case, I'm really looking forward to it. I don't care for second shift at all. The hours flat out suck. I'll probably go to another line but that would be well worth it to go to third shift. Granted, I'll be moving back home to Oklahoma in the next year, but I'd still rather be on third shift while I'm waiting for that opportunity.

I'm guessing Curky in the morning.

5. donyms

donyms Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I too think Curky will be in soon. :glasses:

6. Curky

Curky Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Yep Im here. Had to go see the doc. for my migraines. We came up with a plane that I know will work at least 2 months out of the 3 till i see him again. I am not complaining that is GREAT! I will be able to get a LOT more done know. I'm so Happy!!!!!! CR next?

7. SurrealOne

Curky again...

8. Curky

Curky Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

*%#$ I did it again. I don't know why that one will not stick with me. I do it 1 out 2 times. Thanks surreal. Really. How are you doing buddy? surreal again. I miss that show.lol

9. SurrealOne

Long, annoying day. Sarge next...

10. SupplySgt

SupplySgt Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Lol I'm too predictable during the week. I'm gonna mess with y'all like hell when I go back to third. Tonight I found out that it is true that I'll be going back to third. This makes me very happy. I just don't know when or to what line I'll be going to.

I'm off to bed though. Got a few things I gotta do before work tomorrow I'm just not looking forward to working till 2am. It'll be nice when I'm back on third to know when I'll be getting off work every night. Y'all have a good one. Curky in the morning.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.