1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Gutting Cats?

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by kwalls22, Jun 6, 2010.

Random Gallery Photos

1. kwalls22

kwalls22 New Member

Has anyone gutted their cats on the NBS silverados? Im looking to do this with my truck and was wondering if anyone has done it already and could let me know what they did.
  2. Silverado Junkie

Silverado Junkie New Member 100 Posts

Never done it on a NBS Silverado, but the way I always did it was to remove the screens on each end of the cat, then bang the ends until all the guts fall out. Sometimes you might have to use a screwdriver or something similar to help pry the guts outs. Then when your done, just weld them back in place.
  3. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

gutting cats

Your truck has O2 sensors before and after the cats. If you gutt the cats you will get a engine code. The newer factory GM cats flow very well. I would just install a cat-back system.
  4. murdog94

murdog94 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

X2 .................... :great:
  5. vncj96

vncj96 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Cats on the newer trucks are already a high flow. Leave them alone IMO.
  6. Silverado Junkie

Silverado Junkie New Member 100 Posts

They do have a point I didnt think of for your truck. But if you still wana remove your cats, then get a tuner that will allow you to remove your cats without any codes. Because horsepower is a terrible thing to waste and no cats is still better than any high-flow cats.
  7. JennaBear

JennaBear New Member 100 Posts

Unless your cats are shot, there is no reason to gut them or delete them. :neutral:
  8. 2COR517

2COR517 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I have a cat code on my 96 Tahoe with Vortec 350. Apparently from running too long with a leaking FPR. The FPR is fixed, along with the leaking intake manifold.

Are the replacement Y-pipe/cats for these any good? I know my head pipes are quite small compared to my 97K200 w/350. Should I put the bigger pipes on if I do replace the Y-pipe?

Replacement head pipe is over three hundred, that's a $400 job by the time I get it done, if everything goes well. I'm considering gutting the cats.

Jenna - can you do a tune for my truck with a Cat delete? What about EGR delete?
  9. JennaBear

JennaBear New Member 100 Posts

Yes we can do an offroad tune for your cats and EGR.
  10. 2COR517

2COR517 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

What's a ballpark price, exchanging PCMs?