1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

H1 morimoto retrofit

Discussion in 'Lighting Discussion' started by reggiecab2000, May 26, 2013.

1. reggiecab2000

reggiecab2000 Member

ive been distracted from this project as of lately...

but i just resumed working on it and discovered the biggest upset of all...

1999-2002 silverado headlights are different sizes on driver/passenger side....

the driver side headlight reflector bowl for high and low beams is noticeably deeper than the passenger side.... the morimoto projector fits perfectly with some extra space in the driver side, but with it in place on the passenger side, the lens will not go onto the headlight because the projector sticks out too far...

photo (1).jpg

this does not seem like a problem i can remedy..... looks like I am screwed for now...
  2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

Are all 2000 Chevy truck headlight assemblys the same? Is there maybe another model that has a deeper reflector bowl on the right hand side? Or can a left hand side assembly possibly be modified to fit the right side?
    Maybe theres an aftermarket model thats deeper.
  3. reggiecab2000

reggiecab2000 Member

not too sure, i checked my oem headlights currently on my truck and they are the same dish depths as these depo ones....
  4. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I wonder if aftermarket OEM-style assemblies by Certifit will also have the disparity in dish depths from driver to passenger side. It might be worth a call to your local Certifit to find out; they'll usually open the package and measure things for you if you ask them to do so -- at least the one that was local to me would.
  5. donyms

donyms Active Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

My TYCs I have in mine are about 1/2" different but they both are pretty deep. Cool project though, keep us posted on your project. :great:
  6. Mike350

Mike350 New Member

Sorry to bump such an old thread, but did you ever figure this out? I'm doing research for retrofitting my 2001 2500hd crew cab and I was going to use the same kit so I need to know if I'll have this issue myself.
  7. reggiecab2000

reggiecab2000 Member

hopefully your bump will encourage me to finish this project, as i have left it alone for over a year and a half now :/
    but the only thing i started to do was to bore a bigger hole out on the back of the passenger reflector to allow the housing to sit further back, you need a pretty big hole though...
  8. Mike350

Mike350 New Member

Haha a work in progress right? Well thanks anyway. I'll have to look into my options I suppose. I might just get aftermarkets.
  9. reggiecab2000

reggiecab2000 Member

progressing very slowly... good luck, if you find something better report it back!