1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

H3 Clutch...

Discussion in 'Hummer Forum' started by dedmon27, Aug 21, 2013.

1. dedmon27

dedmon27 Rockstar 100 Posts

Anyone have a 5 speed H3 that has to bleed the clutch once a year or more? Seems like the ol' H3 clutch needs bled every spring. You have to pump the clutch to build up pressure. Once I drain and refill then bleed I'm usually good for a least 6 months. Anyone else have this issue?

2. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I was always under the assumption if you have to do that often then the slave cylinder is bad.

3. dedmon27

What would be bad about it you think? It doesn't lose fluid or anything.

4. vncj96

If its not leaking then something has failed and is allowing air into the system. the clutch runs off the brake system, so maybe even a bad brake booster or master cylinder. You are better off taking it to a reputable shop that understands clutches. They can be pretty tricky if you are not familiar with them.

5. a.graham52

a.graham52 Rockstar 100 Posts

since when has a clutch worked of the brake system? at most iv seen them share resivours (both use brake fluid) but nothing after that is shared. the clutch is its own system with its own master, slave, lines and pedal.

6. vncj96

All I meant was they share the same fluid and maybe the same reservoir (I shouldn't type that late at night, thought in head wasn't translated to fingers well), but something is wrong, you should never be having to consistently be bleeding air out of the clutch system, just the same as if you were constantly bleeding air out of your brakes

Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
  7. dedmon27

It has it's own reservoir. When I have to bleed it once a year no air comes out. Some how it is getting contaminated, via heat or moisture. Anyway I just wanted to know if any other H3 owners had this issue. Thanks

8. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I think that you have an issue somewhere. Slave cylinder possibly. You should not have to bleed it unless you open the system for some reason. It is a sealed system like your brakes. If I had to bleed my brakes every year I would be concerned.