1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Halo Projector Headlights

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by ChevyFan, Nov 16, 2011.

1. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Who's got Halo Projector Headlights? Anyone know much about them and who the parent company for them is? Also, if you have them, how do you like them and how are they working out for you?
  2. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I almost bought some ... but then learned that they are -all- HALOGEN projectors. (This means they do nothing good for [and can actually worsen glare caused by] HIDS, as HID projectors are radically different beasts from halogen projectors.) However, like you I am interested in how those who have them use and like them. Thanks for asking!
  3. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

There are many Co's that make them some good some bad.. As for The cool factor the Halo's do look great and the Anzo's have the brightest
    ones on the market. They use CCFL bulbs while other Co's use 1 little bulb and hope the light gets all the way around. As for the Projectors
    They say NOT to put HID's in them because of melting I have seen it done but I think people use lower watt ballest...They also can put out a thiner beam But they could have that cutoff that some lights have so you do NOT blind on coming people...

Hope this helps...

Look at Anzo,IPCW,Pilot just to name a few...
  4. Scooter

Scooter Rockstar 100 Posts

Hey Steve...check out my pics I have halo projecters as far as melting as long as you stick with 35watt ballast you'll be fine...55watts will melt it....
  5. sstoner911

sstoner911 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I purchased mine from Spyder in California. I think they also provide RECON their projectors. I am running 35watt 8000K HIDs in them. Like mentioned already, 55watt ballast will melt your projectors. So far mine have been great.<br>
    <br>
    They are also CCFL halos.

Attached Files:

6. Drake_korthos

Drake_korthos Rockstar ROTM Winner 100 Posts

Hey Steve,
    I did purchase my projectors from RECON. They initially came with halogen bulbs (not too savy about how they'll handle HID's, not too worried about it either as I don't plan on installing the kit), but I changed them out for som xenon bulbs (4,600K). As mentioned above, the RECON projectors only have one LED to light the Halo ring, but in all honesty they look fine on my truck (still been fightin with the weather out here otherwise I'd have some nice night shots). I will say that you're best bet is to go either Anzo or Recon, as they seem to have the most satisfied customers. If you're interested, I do have photo's of the installation and some blog entries about the adventure! Hope that helps, and good luck with your selection!
  7. sstoner911

sstoner911 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I have seen the recon projrctors and I think they are the Spyder projectors but twice the price. I got mine for 250.00 shipped. They have a non CCFL version along with the CCFL version.
  8. reggiecab2000

reggiecab2000 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

i got a set off ebay but, i honestly think they are the exact same as spec-D, spyder, ans any other brand for the type i got... mine are the dual halo projectors and all that NO HID thing is the dumbest thing ive ever heard...
    HID's run cooler than Halogen, there is NO melting concern for HID, i converted mine to HID but had to trim a little bit from the bowl to fit the HID, now as far as performance of these lights, i see way better visibility in most stock halogen projectors, i honestly think this light output is nothing fantastic at all but i never had a problem with my stock headlights with HIDs and anyone flashing me, i had them aimed right.
    but the EXTREME downside of my projectors is the high beam... i had to buy a set of driving lights just to feel safe with these things...
    the high beams are horrible and i even upgraded to 120W bulbs and no difference, against a garage you can see the high beams concentrated below the low beam cutoff, and it is the absolute worst light pattern ever. they might as well not be there. on hilly terrain, or mountains i would be stuck going 5 mph so as to see over every hill, honestly i question why i still run them at all, but i think my only reason is because a while back i installed some fogs to complement them, and together i see plenty... honestly my fog beams light up the road better than my projectors... but together theyre decent
  9. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

You assume the melting concerns pertain to the lense housing; they don't. The real concern is that most people exceed stock headlight wattages and place greater current draw on the stock wiring/connections than was intended for it. This results in electrical wires/connections that can and do melt -- specifically because an under-sized wire for a given load will heat up ... and that heat is then transferred to the wire's shielding.

That's a very real risk based on simple physics -- one your dismissal of melting concerns did not acknowledge.
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2011
  10. reggiecab2000

reggiecab2000 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

yes your absolutely right about the wires melting, i completely agree with you.
    im just talking about that little "no HID" sticker on these projectors, when people convert to HID the most common wattages out there are 35W and 50W and most low beam replacements are 35W HID's thats where im basing my assumption i guess you could say...
    USUALLY but definitely not always when you convert to HID your not risking any wire melting conditions especially at 35W, but if your talking about going to higher wattage halogen bulbs then yes you definitely need to upgrade the wires, that would be a high risk