1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

HALO Projectors Installed - Have a Look!

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by DaveyBoyo, Mar 3, 2009.

1. DaveyBoyo

DaveyBoyo Rockstar

So, I finally got my HALO projector headlights installed. It was not without incident. Read on.

I got them really cheap off ebay ($35) because one of the brackets was broken. Fixed it (or so I thought) with Seal All. While I was working on installing them with my buddy last night, we broke 2 light bulbs in mechanics lamps (we had no spares). Then he busted one of my amber turn signal bulbs. Then he left my hot headlight bulb dangling out of the socket and it burnt a nice hole in my plastic grille. Then, when we got everything wired up, we realized that we wired the HALO's and LED's to the signals and not the parking lights. Brown wire, not blue wire. D'oh!! Then, the Seal All that was holding the bracket in place came off, prompting much swearing.

We decided to take a break from that project and try to put a new sunroof motor in his '99 Grand Prix GTP. Keep in mind we're doing all of this outside in -21C degree weather. We get the headliner torn apart, hook up the new sunroof motor - only to find it doesn't work. This prompted much more swearing. Because my buddy had grease all over his hands from working on my truck and forgot to wash his hands, he in turn proceeded to cover his headliner in grease as well. (Insert swearing here).

We put the car back together and lathered contact cement on the headlight bracket, held it together and pointed a hairdryer at it. After 3 hours, the contact cement looked like it was going to finally hold. Then I shut the hood and it came apart.

Tasks for today:

- Buy new turning signal bulb, replace
    - Buy 4 new connectors and wire HALO's and LED's to brown wire, not blue wire
    - Buy can of gray paint and fix the hole burnt in the grille from headlight bulb
    - Buy superglue and make the headlight bracket F'ing stay on

So, today I woke up nice and early. Went to Canadian Tire and got more wire connectors. I picked up some Loctite and was so distracted by my conversation with my buddy behind the parts counter than I walked out without paying for it. When I was getting in my truck I thought 'oh crap', but then figured it wasn't intentional anyway, so I carried on. Bought a new turn signal bulb from NAPA, and headed home.

Maksed the truck off in order to re-paint my grille:

[​IMG]

Then I took the broken headlight bracket and put the Loctite on it. I left it under a heat lamp to dry. While it was drying, I re-painted the grille. Loctite finished drying and I wired up the HALO's the correct way:glasses:

[​IMG]

Unfortunately, because the headlights are out of alignment (I just put them in, durr), when I shut the hood it broke the Loctite bond. Right now it is re-glued and sitting in place, still wired up, with a hair dryer pointing at it. I figure i'll give it another 2 1/2 hours and then fix the alignment, close the hood and go off to do my business. Current view of proceedings:

[​IMG]

What do you guys think? Praise? Criticism? Lay it on me.

2. Chevy Newby

Chevy Newby Rockstar

excellent

Sound like you guys had a blast! aint nothing like having your buddy there with you as you both fck up each other rides. The grill look good,cant even tell. The halos look great. I cant wait till I get mine. Are they the CCFL halos that light brighter than standard halos? either way a great price for $35.

3. Montana

Montana Member

Sounds like the time my buddies and I installed a stereo in my '79 Z-28 Camaro. When we turned the radion, all of the parking lights came on. A little too much:party:

Scott
    Kalispell, MT

4. ct9a

ct9a Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Looks great!

5. DaveyBoyo

DaveyBoyo Rockstar

I'm not sure if they are the CCFL HALO's, but from what I understand, these are just about the best you can buy.

6. MWright936

MWright936 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Sounds like a swearing good time! The end product looks awesome! The headlights look sweet and the grille is very clean!

7. drumrob

drumrob Rockstar 100 Posts

It looks really clean!!! do you have any pictures with the lights on?

8. tlperry68

tlperry68 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Looks good.

9. bzboardco

bzboardco Rockstar 100 Posts

Looks really good!

10. DaveyBoyo

DaveyBoyo Rockstar

Hey thanks for the props guys. I tried to take a pic. of the lights while turned on, but it didnt turn out that great. Will take more tomorrow when it's not as dark.

SIDE NOTE: After wiring everything up and turning the truck back on, my speedo has redlined and will not move. Fuse? Yes? No?

[​IMG]