1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Happiness is a new fuel pump!!

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by thrasher, May 4, 2013.

1. thrasher

thrasher Rockstar 100 Posts

:party: Alrighty! FINALLY got to replace my fuel pump. Truck is 12 yrs old, 102k. Last month the drivers door window reg. went. Did that too. took less than 1 hr, reg. cost $85.00 at Advance Auto Parts.
    Bought a new fuelo pump off eBay last week, finally got to it. Took a little over 3 hrs to do, most of which was just getting the retaining ring off/on. I went the ghetto route - I cut a hole in the bed!! I didn't really have any alternative, as I do these things on as low a budget as I can, as long as it's mechanically perfect. Will post pics of the wound & the "bandage" tomorrow!!!
  2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Good you got her running right again.
    Sometimes ya gotta sacrafice and do what you have to do.
    You can always clean the hole up and get a piece of bed floor from donor truck just a little larger and use it as a patch panel by using sheet metal screws to hold it down.
  3. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Just to make you feel better, I bought 3 fuel pumps off of ebay and they are all going strong years later. There's a lot of people that would critisize you for not buying AC Delco, but you can replace yours 4 times over for what one of those cost lol!!

I cut a hole in the trunk of my firebird for the same reason, I made a patch panel out of lexan so I could keep an eye on the rubber hoses and such..
  4. j cat

j cat Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

the hole cutting on some vehicles is a very good plan. many higher quality/expensive vehicles have an access door for this when built. I know of dealership techs that do this on some of the more difficult models. on a pickup truck GM type bed removal is quite easy. actually you slide the bed back about 2 feet and tilt up. then you can wash off all the debris blow off the water. lube the ring then disconnect the lines/ring retainer. if changing connectors you have good amount of space to solder in the wiring.

test the fuel pressures before restoring it all.

using some 1/4 in steel you can cut pieces to fit under the bed. make threads in this steel to lock down to the bed and run under the patch area. then drill threw the patch bed metal and make threads into the 1/4 in steel metal under to hold down this cut out portion . then on the cut edges use a flexible sealant material .

dropping the fuel tank can create issues ...lines do get damaged if not careful.

use fine thread bolts , counter sunk heads. get a counter sink drill bit . that way the heads will be flush to the bed.
  5. thrasher

thrasher Rockstar 100 Posts

FP rep (1).jpg FP rep (2).jpg Well, for starters, I did use an AC Delco fuel pump. Paid$159.00, with free shipping off ebay. As for moving the bed vs. cutting, I had no assistance (except for my wife standing on the pump to seat it into the opening - that seal is TIGHT!!!) I had to lift 1 side of the bed off the frame to run new brake lines to the rear last year, so I know it's not terribly hard to remove, but i had more than enough room to work in the opening I made. As I stated yesterday, I do as much as I can on my vehicles myself, and almost always by myself. had to crack open a beer after this one!!LOL!!

Attached Files: