Happy new owner of 2005 Silverado

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by TheWhiteKnight, Jan 11, 2013.

1. TheWhiteKnight

TheWhiteKnight New Member

Greetings,

After having a Kia Rio totalled, I decided it was time to switch back to having a truck. I traded in my 1997 F-250 (which I really do miss), and decided to get something a little nicer. So I bought a 2005 Chevy Silverado. Nice truck, clean, and of course there are things I want to do to it, ie they still make automatic vehicles without cruise control? But I'm happy with it. I miss getting 40MPG on the way back and forth from Pittsburgh, but I like how it feels and I'd rather sit up high than be hunkered down on the road in a soda-can on wheels.

littlebeast.jpg

I haven't looked or researched yet, but are they notorious for any problems?

- Josh

2. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Congrats on your new ride....Very clean and sharp looking truck!

3. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Silvy > Rio!

4. TheWhiteKnight

You aren't kidding....

So I've been doing some research on things for my truck I'd LIKE to have, because it's like owning a house, changing it and upgrading it is a constant thing. Of course body modifications are always a "want", but I am going for functionality first. I am looking at replacing the turn signal stock and adding one with cruise control, then tap into the DIS. I seen a couple places and threads on doing them, so the procedure doesn't look to difficult. Can't really be any more difficult then replacing the GEM module in my old F-250.

I'm surprised that the truck didn't comes with options you'd think a truck would come with. I guess I took it for granted that my old F-250 came with everything. So just to make sure that I know where to look. the code for the gear ratio is located in the glove compartment? I want to add a tow package to the truck so I can pull a trailer.

5. Project1

Project1 Rockstar 100 Posts

Yea theres one i can think of if it has been replaced. That is the ac/heat fan resistor pack. Does the ac have all 5 speeds working? When i bought my 06 used it started out with no 5 the lost 4. Congrats on the new ride time to cover up the chrome lol

6. TheWhiteKnight

I fully agree, chrome on a truck never looks good, neither does large rims (just my $.02). I'd like to find some 6 lug aluminum wheels from an Avalanche or something but I don't want 18" 's.

- - - Updated - - -

Also does the center front seat fold down at all? Cant figure that one out.

7. buckmeister2

buckmeister2 Member 2 Years 100 Posts

check out craigslist for deals on wheels. if you are not familiar with that, go to craigslist "dot" com, then go to your town/area, then auto parts, then type in "17 wheels" (for 17"), or "silverado wheels". you will see a lot of stuff to look over.

8. stchman

stchman Active Member 1 Year 1000 Posts

I didn't think that you could get a Silverado without cruise control unless it was a W/T. That looks to be an LS.

IMO, that truck would look good with some silver and black machined aluminum wheels. As far as chrome, chrome door handles look great on a truck.

9. TheWhiteKnight

I did find the first few things I want to do to it. Cruise is a definite, possibly find a folding center front seat, tap into the DIS, and some fog lights. I'm looking for all OEM parts though. I'll have to see what I can do. I did find the cruise stalk that just plugs in (since it appears my truck already has cruise built in).

I have to say this seems to be MUCH easier than trying to put cruise in a vehicle that didn't have it to begin with.

10. silverhobey

silverhobey Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

welcome aboard....if I am not mistaken, most 250's of any brand vehicle come
    with quite a few options .....Brian from Canada