1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

hard start or wont start 305.

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by timhall1787, Sep 28, 2011.

1. timhall1787

timhall1787 New Member

hard starting 89 chevy shortbed. 305. tbi. changed fuel pump. rebuilt tbi. fuel pressure regulator. temp sensor. cap and rotor. plugs and wires. she rolls over and tries to start but wont start up. im not getting any codes either. i did notice that when i turn the key over the (check engine soon) light flashes once then stays on. but still doesnt start. i dont know if it did that before or not.(flash once) it would start up after rolling over a bit and now its just rolling over. i just moved from south tx tho michigan and its much cooler here, is there any way that i might need more cold cranking amps? i have 700cca and 650ca now. what else shall i look at? thanks

2. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

When was the fuel filter changed?

3. timhall1787

timhall1787 New Member

it was just replaced as well. i forgot to write it

4. Greg84

Greg84 Rockstar 100 Posts

If its turning over I wouldn't worry about the battery at this point. Things I'd check - Make sure the plug wires are on in the correct order, make sure you have a spark at the spark plugs, put the engine at TDC on the compression stroke and pull the cap to make sure its pointed at #1.

5. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Also check to be sure you have spark, and your injectors are spraying fuel! if those two arent doing then you have a problem with the ignition module.