1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Hard starting Silverado

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Revredneck, Aug 13, 2011.

1. Revredneck

Revredneck Rockstar 100 Posts

Here's the deal -- 2003 Silverado, 5.3 V8, 89k miles - It is very hard to start on an intermittent basis. It runs fine once it starts, but I never know when it's going to act up. Last weekend, it wouldn't start while I was out and I had to get someone to bring me home. When I got back to get it, I whacked on the fuel tank and it started. My fuel pressure gage was leaking badly, so I couldn't get a decent reading. It acted up a couple more times, and when I whacked the tank, it started, so I ordered a fuel pump assembly for it. The check engine light came on also, with a code for the cam sensor. I just figured it was because it acted so goofy from extended cranking and kicking back.
    I replaced the pump (and fuel filter) this morning, and it started right up and ran great on a 5 mile road test. When I got in to take a little trip to town this afternoon, it wouldn't start again. I guess I need to take a good look at the cam sensor. I've worked on several cars before with intermittent cam sensor codes, and they are a real bear to pin down.
    My question is this -- where is the cam sensor on this engine, and how difficult is it to replace? I looked at the timing cover from above, and cannot see it anywhere. Anybody have any experience with this type of issue?
    Good Luck and God Bless
  2. Revredneck

Okay, I finally found the cam sensor. It's in the rear of the engine, in the location where the distributor used to be. I bought a sensor and got it replaced a few minutes ago. Time will tell if that fixed it or not. I ordered a shop manual yesterday, so I can have something to refer to in the future and not guess about the problem. I hate guessing. It's so unprofessional and so expensive. Now I'm praying the issue is resolved.
    Good Luck and God Bless.
  3. Revredneck

Rats! The cam sensor didn't fix it. I'm pretty sure I finally got something solid to go on, though. I checked my new service manual and discovered that the fuel pressure is still low, according to the spec for a gas burner, but it's in the range and properly responding for the flex fuel engine. I think someone in the past put the wrong regulator in it. Got a new one, (the right one) coming from Rock Auto.
    Good Luck and God Bless