1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

hard steering, low battery, high engine temp

Discussion in 'Chevy Tahoe Forum (GMC Yukon, Cadillac Escalade)' started by loic, Jun 11, 2012.

1. loic

loic New Member

my wife just called me, she is driving the 99 tahoe (LT 4x4) saying hi honey, there is something wrong with the car, I asked what it is. she says
    the steering is getting hard, the engine temp is very high, the battery is low.
    I told her to park and shut off the engine right away.
    then she says she hear some noise (after engine is off) something like click click click... I am 30 miles away taking care of my 2 years old, I cant get there until she comes back (she'll have to take a cab...) because I have a old wrangler without doors/tops so no way I can put the baby in this thing...
    I have to try and fix this thing today...
    I am thinking that maybe the alternator is on its way out which will explain the gauges going crazy. but not sure about the hard steering and noises she heard after turning the engine off.
    what do you guys think ?
  2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Could have lost the serpentine belt for some reason. That would explain the high temp (no water pump), the low voltage (no alternator), and the hard steering (no power steering pump). As far as the clicking goes, I have no idea! Sorry
  3. loic

loic New Member

ok, thanks. I didnt think about the belt but makes sens. I just called AMA to get the truck tow back to the apartment, it makes more sens than driving 30 miles and finding that I forgot that tool or another..
  4. Pikey

Please let us know what the issue was.
  5. loic

loic New Member

The truck just came in, the belt is shredded......
  6. SupplySgt

SupplySgt New Member

Make sure your pulleys move freely before you put the new belt on. I shredded a belt in my old 96 GMC cause my idler pulley froze up. Didn't realize it till I threw my spare belt on and started it up.
  7. RallySTX

RallySTX New Member

Right on Sarge, good sig.
    Brian L.
  8. loic

loic New Member

lol, before I put the belt I checked if the iddle pulley was spinning, no problems, put the belt on, start the struck and a really bad noise.... removed the belt, checked everything, everything looked ok, checked the iddle pulley, sure enough it was not moving... went to get a new one and everything is ok.
    again thanks !!
  9. Pikey

Glad it was an easy fix
  10. Dana W

Dana W Member

The ticking noise was the super hot engine and exhaust system shrinking while cooling. You'd be amazed how much iron, steel, and aluminum grows and shrinks due to temperature.