1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Hard to See Navigation/Information Screen

Discussion in 'Chevy Tahoe Forum (GMC Yukon, Cadillac Escalade)' started by Guardsix, Nov 1, 2012.

1. Guardsix

Guardsix New Member

I'm having a hard time seeing my 2012 LTZ navigation screen from the driver's seat. I know when it's sunny I'll have a lot of glare and that definitely is a problem but it also seems dim when in normal light. It there any way to increase the visibility of the nav/info screen?
  2. Als09Sierra

Als09Sierra Active Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

There are two things that could be affecting the screen. The first is your brightness selector for the interior lights, which also turns on the dome light inside the truck. The second is the light sensor which tells the system when to put on the headlights and when to switch to night mode. Also, you may need to go into the menu and switch the selector to automatically adjust. It may be set to night mode. You can tell if the background of the navigation is dark. I know the newer models are different, but believe that this is a common feature of nav systems.
  3. Guardsix

Guardsix New Member

Thanks. I pretty much have adjusted all these controls. It just seems to get washed out in bright to even moderate sunlight. Sure makes it tough to use the backup camera in some situations.
  4. Als09Sierra

Als09Sierra Active Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Could there be something wrong with your day/night sensor? Do your lights stay on? Otherwise, it sounds like it might be something in the nav system itself, and should be covered by your warranty.
  5. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 1000 Posts

My '09 probably has the same unit, and it works fine in the bright sunlight. Yes, it is washed a little in the bright sun (most screens are), but not so much that it can not be used. The backup camera is totally useable.

Perhaps a little fine tuning of the day time adjustments might help.
  6. Guardsix

Guardsix New Member

I'll keep working on it. I've got a trip planned to the dealer in the very near future. I might have them take a look at it. I've fiddled with all the controls I know of but it doesn't seem to change much. I know about the day/hight settings and I'm setting on Auto which seems to work most of the time. And I've got the dome light set to where it has all the dash lights at max without turning on the dome light.

As I said, I'll have the dealer take a look.
  7. RayVoy

Even on AUTO, there are still adjustments for day time, night time. I'm just going from memory (and mine is a different year), but on the far left and far right sides of the screen (when in the menu/nav screen) there are brightness sliders. (they might be day/night adjustments, or perhaps brightness/contrast)
  8. Guardsix

Guardsix New Member

Thanks for helping out but I didn't see any other setting when I check the display. It was either Day or Night or Auto. No other adjustment arrows were present and I even turned the tuner and volume knobs but they didn't do anything. I'm just going to have to get used to the way it is. That's fine. I still enjoy the heck out of my new LTZ!
  9. RayVoy

Sorry, been off for a couple of days (driving home from Ontario), I'll check mine tomorrow, maybe my memory is off a screen, or two.