1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

hard to start 2000 silverado

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by jasonsz71, Jul 14, 2008.

1. jasonsz71

jasonsz71 New Member

i have a 2000 silverado with the 5.3 and i was wondering when the truck is running you can hear the fuel pump running but when you go to start the truck you cant hear it come on and sometimes i have to crank on it for a while(5-10 sec) to get it to start. it runs vey well. if it sits over night it starts very easy, if you shut it off and restart it starts easy but if you let it sit an hour then its hard to start. what do you thin kcould be wrong? it has new plugs, fuel filter, and top end fuel injector cleaner..
  2. collinsperformance

collinsperformance Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

are you waiting the 10-15 seconds for the system to prime? you might have a bad check valve and need to replace the fuel pump......mike
  3. BajaMark

BajaMark Member

Look at your fuel pressure regulator. It on the driver side fuel rail. After the truck is warm pull off the vacuum hose and if it is wet with fuel then it is bad. I had the same problem I changed that and it worked like new
  4. jasonsz71

jasonsz71 New Member

i replaced the fuel pressure regulator because someone else told me to pull the vacuum line and if gas was in it then the regulator was bad and sure enough it was full of gas.. and the reason it starts easy after it sits he said was because it fills the intake with fuel but if it leaks too much it can blow your intake gasket and it makes it harder on gas.. ill know in an hour if it starts up better.. thanks for your replys..