1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Hard Water Spots??

Discussion in 'Detailing & Truck Care' started by kaiserc11, Feb 28, 2014.

1. kaiserc11

kaiserc11 New Member

I have a 2014 black Silverado and I have recently noticed these really bad spots that appear to be hard water spots. Washing the truck does not help and I have tried a water/vinegar solution, which does not help either. I am really worried it has gotten into the clear coat. Please shed some light on my problem and what I should try. The spots are smooth for the most part. I have attached a picture of the spots. Thanks

Attached Files:

2. summitwhite11

summitwhite11 Member 1 Year 100 Posts

Those generally come from a wash without a water softener, and well water with minerals, you really dont want those to set in, ruins the paint,chrome, and glass, I had a well and washing my harley in illusion blue left spots, to combat I would always rinse with two gallons of distilled water using a garden sprayer, and a lawn blower to blow dry, saved the paint and chrome. you can find a couple of products at the link I will leave to get rid of the water spots, and some info on prevention. The spots you see are calcium and magnesium. the best solution is dry your truck after each washing if you dont have a spot free rinse.
    http://www.autogeek.net/exterior.html

3. kaiserc11

kaiserc11 New Member

Ok thanks about what I expected and they have been there a few days. I'm planning on finding something first thing tomorrow that will work and thoroughly cleaning the entire truck. What about a clay bar or clay compound?

4. dunnowhat

dunnowhat New Member

Have it clayed and try some polishing compound. If that doesn't work it may need some wet sanding and after polishing.

5. TimTom64b

TimTom64b Member 2 Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner Gold Member

Try wiping it down with prepsol...

6. dunnowhat

dunnowhat New Member

Just to add it also depends on the degree of damage in the paint it self. If wet sanding does remove the stain, you have no choice but to have it repainted.

7. gjg55

gjg55 New Member

I have a black Silverado and deal with same problem - water spots. I towel wipe my truck after washing and it helps. Also, if you wax/polish after washing, using a damp wax applicator, then you can remove old spots. When in a hurry, I go to a car wash that has blow dryer - much easier and faster...

8. typh00n13

typh00n13 New Member

I would use a clay bar to remove them and then wax and polish your truck. Then the next time you wash your truck with hard water or well water, make sure to dry it off right away. The layer of wax and polish should make it easier to dry. Try to wax and polish once a month to stay on top of it.

9. poncho62

poncho62 Member 1 Year 100 Posts

Shoulda bought a white truck......:p

Sorry, couldnt resist.

10. truc.karl

truc.karl Member

I would recommend the Carpro Spotless. It works great and easy to apply.