1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Hardwire a Plasmaglow fire and ice bar

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by Klutch Mclovin, Dec 16, 2011.

Newest Gallery Photos

1. Klutch Mclovin

Klutch Mclovin Rockstar 100 Posts

Does anyone know how to hardwire a Plasmaglow fire and ice bar. It came with the 4 prong to connect to the trailer hook up but the trailer hook up on my truck was somewhat broken off. I was wondering how to hardwire it into the 7 wire connector. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Klutch Mclovin

anyone????

3. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

I had the same question when I installed my tailgate bar. I don't know how to post a link to it but if you do a search it should come up. I was lucky I was able to look at the back of the 7 pin harness the wires still had the sticker on them to identify what was what. However I did get a response from someone that was able to give a good diagram with wire id's. Good luck. One thing I found out after the fact is to not solder the connections. I was told by a local shop that the harness isn't able to handle the heat. If this is true or not I am not sure, Just thought I would pass along that little bit of info.

4. TELORVEHC

TELORVEHC Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

5. Klutch Mclovin

I think I can use some wire spice connectors and hardwire it into the tail lights.

6. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I recently contacted PlasmaGlow about why the PlasmaGlow instructions indicate the following: "DO NOT USE TRAILER HARNESS WIRING!"

My inquiry read as follows:
    A 7-pin trailer harness appears to have all of the requisite connections for the Firestorm and is easy enough to tap. Aside from Plasmaglow selling fewer of its converters, what risk is there in using the 7-pin trailer harness. Please explain.

The response I received read as follows:
    On most trucks, the electronic brake will pulse a signal to detect a trailer which will make the bar blink when it is not supposed to, even sometimes when the truck is off. On normal trailer bulbs, this pulse isn't seen, but the LEDs are much more sensitive.

Fact or fiction designed to sell more converters?

7. sstoner911

sstoner911 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

This is what most guys do.

8. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

[MENTION=50075]surrealone[/MENTION] I have my recon lightbar (I forget which one I have) directly wired to the back of the 7 pin harness. I have had zero issues that were given to you by plasmaglow.

9. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

[MENTION=49099]Klutch Mclovin[/MENTION] : A little late to the party with this info but were you looking for this? http://www.listatrailer.com/help/7wire.html

[MENTION=40941]aloxdaddy99[/MENTION] : That's likely what I would do, too -- to see if PG was BS'ing me or not.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2011
  10. Klutch Mclovin

I hardwired it into the tail lights using wire splice connectors and it works fine.