1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Has anyone else had this problem?

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by kawierider1990, Jul 7, 2011.

1. kawierider1990

kawierider1990 New Member

i have a 2001 chevy silverado, ext cab with the 4.8L in it, and my high and low side valves on my A/C lines are leaking and have leaked out all my vaccuum. Is this a common thing with these trucks? And how hard is it to replace the valves? One screws on and the other is like a valve needle stem on a tire

Thanks Kolton
  2. stephan

stephan New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

No Kolton, haven't seen your particular problem. Usually the weak point is the compressor seal leaking over a long period of time. When the c.s do leak you usually have to recharge it about every 2 years. If yours are leaking there at the valves I would try tightening or just replacing them. Easiest to do it now since it's empty. Also make sure your protective caps are tight as well.
  3. dsfloyd

dsfloyd New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

should be able to replace the valves if thats where the leak is. the one on my wifes car got stuck and caused the freon to leak. the problem is then needing to get it recharged. It wont be like when you have a small leak and can just use the bottle off the shelf. the system will need to be put back under vaccum. not the most difficult job but takes some time.