Has anyone swapped a 94 TBI for a stroker?

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by Raustin, Apr 30, 2010.

1. Raustin

Raustin New Member

I have a 94 TBI 5.7 tired motor. Drive train is 100% stock minus exhaust. I'm looking to swap with a crate stroker 383 and use all my electronics. Going to upgrade tranmission / rear end after I get the motor installed.

Searched the site first but was unable to locate the info I was looking to find.

Any advice/help would be great!

Thanks in advance.

2. sharpshooterusmc

sharpshooterusmc Rockstar 100 Posts

this isnt the easiest thing to do, me and my friend put a 383 in his 91 but we pulled the fuel injection out and put a carb on it. the reason is it is very hard to get the motor to run right because your adjustment is limited on what u can do, u cant get a custom tune done like on a vortec

3. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

You will be able to put your completely factory TBI on it and run that with reduced results due to the mentioned tuning issue.. You best bet is to look into bigger injectors and a larger throttle body with a chip to run the EFI... Also a good set of headers to deal with the higher intake flow... I would also look into a higher flowing TBI intake i know Edelbrock makes one.. The vast majority of these parts are a direct bolt on and will run with everything just fine.. Plus the advantage of no needing to cut and splice.

4. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

GM- sells a drop in 383 for the 96-99 fuel injected engine with the fancier fuel injection system-forget whet it is called, but it isn't throttle body- maybe it is sequential port FI or something like that??

Could he get the FI from a 96-99 5.7 and buy the stroker from Pace prefornamce- it is $4600 now.
    340 hp 435 lb-ft.

Probably more trouble than it is worth.
    Charlie

5. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Actually it can be done. He would have to change the entire engine management harness as well as the harness under the dash. Also getting a computer from a 1996. Then he will need to change the EFI out from a 1996-1999... Then the truck would have OBDII for the ability for a programer as well... IF wouldnt be to bad if you can find a donor truck on Craigslist so you can take it all apart so you know how to reinstall the entire sytem...