Has anyone taken apart a NNBS headlight??

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by the phantom, Jun 4, 2013.

1. the phantom

the phantom New Member

Im thinking of buying a set of NNBS headlights to take apart and modify. Im looking at removing the amber lense and painting some parts black and possibly putting in some red halo rings. I have heard of some putting them in the oven for 15 minutes at a certain temp to allow the glue to become flexible enough to seperate them but also have heard that does not work. I seen a video on youtube of someone cutting into the lights and re-assembling with black rtv silicone but not sure I want to take that route. Any ideas guys on ripping into the lights. I think I can get a set that someone replaced with projectors for around a $100 so its worth it to me to buy them instead of experimenting on my originals.

- - - Updated - - -

Anybody?? Bueller? Bueller?
  2. the phantom

the phantom New Member

bump anybody?
  3. Bowtied

Bowtied Member

i too have seen people putting their headlights in the oven to remove them from their shells, this does make me a bit apprehensive (with good concern, i doubt your misses wants auto parts in a piece of cookery)

You might try a heat gun or a blow dryer if you dont have an actual heat gun although you may need a specific temperature of heat that only a heat gun can provide. This is the route i'd take.

[​IMG]

Also most of the mods i've seen involving the oven are for motorcycle retrofits (IE: Taking parts off a bmw car and adapting them to a bike) so they were less than concerned when the shell didnt need to be adhered back together. If you do go this route im not sure that simply putting everything back together and applying the heat gun to try to re-adhere the light assembly together would even work.
  4. stchman

stchman New Member

IMO you're just asking to trash a set of headlights. Spyder makes projector headlamp with halo rings for ~$250, the rings are not red.

http://www.spyderauto.com/product.p...D-Replaceable-LEDs-Projector-Headlights-Black
  5. the phantom

the phantom New Member

Yeah I checked them out but theres something about "customizing" that to me doesnt mean "Bolt On" I want a look that no one else has or can get. Im not a fan of the projectors ever since I had a set and was not impressed. Im looking at a set on ebay that have clear instead of amber reflectors and has black background instead of chrome for $162 pair. Just have to bring myself to buy them to tear into them and do what I want to do with them. Might have to save for a Christmas present to myself this winter.
  6. Tungsten23

Tungsten23 New Member

Be weary of Oracle lights, I've heard they are flimsy lights and the come apart months after purchase, and something about a no-return policy.
  7. ahmitchell1

ahmitchell1 New Member

Check out oracle lighting for halos. DO NOT put the nnbs headlights in the oven the will melt. Use a hot knife or a dremel
  8. the phantom

the phantom New Member

I put them in the oven and it turned out great. seperated pretty easily but the butyle glue seal was stuck pretty good. the plastic melts at about 280 and the glue gets flexible enough to pull the lense off at around 230 degrees.