1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Has the Chevy Suburban seen the end of the road? How do new Suburbans compare?

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by ChevyFan, Sep 17, 2011.

?

Chevy Suburban - Still Relevant?

1. Solid Yes - Still fills an essential need.

106 vote(s)
    83.5%
  2. Somewhat Yes - The world has changed, so has it.

17 vote(s)
    13.4%
  3. Somewhat No - Gas prices too high & smaller families today.

3 vote(s)
    2.4%
  4. Solid No - It served it's purpose, time to move on.

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  1. BIGREDDADDY53

BIGREDDADDY53 Member

I drove the suburban for a couple months as a demo. I loved it, having 3 kids plus all the stuff they travel with the Suburban was the one and I'm still sorry I didn't go for the bigger one. Not much dif in gas with a Tahoe.
    just me two cents as a sales for 10years at a GM dealership...............Eric
  2. Timmy6216

Timmy6216 New Member

i came in to the world of driving with a small car.
    fast forward to my K5 blaze
    add a wife and kids and then a tahoe was injected but then..... i saw a truck that came to be known as the yetti. it was a 90 2wd 2500 with a 6.2 diesel under the hood, mated to a turbo 400 3 speed. this hulk of a battle wagon carried my very pregnant wife to the hospital and a matter of days later my second son home from the hospital. drug my jeep to around when i needed it to. the big girl carried me and my family from various duty stations home to see grandma and grand pa. when a head gasket blew my wife (would not admit this and still wont) had the burb bug and demanded a newer one take the yettis place. the 04 LT found its way to my driveway, its 5.3 already having rolled 220000 miles seemed to chomp at the bit and powered the red barron *my kids name the trucks....* into over a year of road trips day to day traveling hauling anything you can think of and in the end it kept my wife safe when she lost control and landed in a ditch. smashed and battered this big red steel cage drove home on her own power and has offerd up a collection of parts to her replacement. again a tahoe was lurking but in the end another mass of rolling legend now sits in my driveway. i picked up an 01 ls 4x4 clad in summit white and 210000 miles . memories of my first burb flooded my mind and i knew this truck was mine before i had even paid the kid selling it (for a minivan)

it might be softer than the yetti and less brute force but it does as it is told and keep me and my family safe within its whale like proportions....and I got to make this one, and I named this one Moby..........
  3. dfhollums

dfhollums New Member

I don't see anything wrong with having a utilitarian-style Suburban for everyday use, but it appears everything marketed to the public nowadays is geared toward ease, comfort, and convenience. I don't know how willing a dealer will be to sell a Fleet Suburban to the public, unless the salesman is desperate I reckon. Who knows how long this great truck will continue to be available for sale. Since GM wanted to rely on the Central Government to stay in business (Ford evidently had better sense) I don't have any plans to be purchasing a new Suburban. My wife's 1999 Suburban is still running great and it only has 157,000 miles on it.
  4. unsub

unsub New Member

I have avoided full-size trucks all my life. Never really needed them, bad on gas, and being I'm by myself when I drive most of the time and I rarely hauled anything, full-size trucks, and particularly suburbans never really grabbed my by the.........

Then I started a new construction job in the communications industry and my first and ever work truck given to me along with a company gas card was a 2000 suburban in 2007. I fell in love with it just days after first driving it. They ride great, the gas isn't so horrible after all(12-18 mpg 5.3/5.7) and it just felt right. I drove that for a few years then I became a foreman of a crew and I was given a Ford, yes a Ford 550 that had a catback crane and tool boxes galore on it. I hated the Ford. Not only was it a manual which I don't mind but would never by, it rode like crap and was a underpowered diesel. Bigger engine than the 2000 sub but no balls. I guess the loads of heavy tools didn't help the poor old Ford out. Anyway, that job ended and new career began in 2011. I hunted for a decent price burb with acceptable miles and a good interior and I found one last month. A 2001 with 136k, mostly highway miles, the endless national park stickers in the car proved that. The carfax showed it was a dealer car for 50k and then the second owner who pulled a camper for the remaining 80k+. So a third owner under 150k 2001 for 7200 sounded good. Talked him down to 6500. Half the price I paid for my worthless 08 HHR SS that I'm now selling.

To end this, if all I drive until my dying day is a chevy suburban I'd die a happy man. People who have never driven one are just clueless, I'd feel sorry for them if I cared.

Edmunds rated 9.4. Cheap parts, easy to work on, American made! Mine was assembled in Janesville, WI. Just a few hours from me. Feels good to drive American. Especially a utilitarian beast that drives like a Caddy. This is now my daily driver.
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2013
  5. Kraziken

Kraziken New Member

6. Hello,

Just wanted to say, "Thank you" for being a loyal GM customer. I am happy to hear that you love the Chevrolet Suburban!

Safe travels,

Jennifer T.
    GM Customer Care
  7. Psyc0

Psyc0 New Member

Bought My 2004 Suburban new in Oct '04.
    Still have it, has only 68,000 miles on the odo, and have had a number of things done to it since January '13.

Local Chevy Dealer replaced My entire instrument panel (for FREE!) due to the speedo going wacky.
    Later, I had the tires replaced at the same dealer, plus all new AC-Delco air-pressure sensor valve stems, plus had My Pontiac's tires replaced there as well.
    Both sets of tires were 700+ UTAQ, and required Road Force balancing, to make the vehicles smooth on the interstate.
    One of the Suburban's tires wouldn't roll down the interstate properly, so the delaer picked up the 'Burban, and replaced the tire and that took care of the issue.

Try that with a tire store!.....last set of tires that I bought from a tire store are now sitting in My gargage with only 8,000 miles on them, because even road force balancing wouldn't correct 2 of the tire balance issues......fwiw; those are BF Goodrich Long Trail T/As.
    The tire store which sold those to Me (Tire Choice), insisted that My Suburban had issues...which was absolute BS, btw.
    Oh, and GM sent Me two $100 rebate debit cards to boot, for having those tires replaced at a GM facility! :happy:

During early May, My brother replaced all of My brake pads on both the Suburban and the Pontiac, plus AC-Delco wheel speed sensors on the Suburban, and then did services on both vehicles, ie, oil & filter, and lube, etc.

After returning from a month long trip late in June, I took the Suburban to a quality local paint and collison shop, (paint was flaking on top, hood, left side from FL sun exposure), and had it painted, then, the guy who originally did the side stripes/graphics, restored those.

The front bumper had been replaced in 2010 with a new GM unit, (due to contact with a deer), and late last year, We replaced the Sachs Nivomat factory shocks with new Sachs Nivomat shocks.
    Got a screamin' deal on those rear shocks on Amazon.com......shipped to My door in less than 24 hours for total of $493.
    My son installed the new shocks in only 20 minutes, mainly because there's NO body/chassis rust on My 'Burban....I reside in SW Florida.

After the painting, We ordered all new exterior lights, (headlights, running/signal lights, fog lights, tail lights), and bought all new long life bulbs, plus Sylvania Silver Star Ultra units to replace all the headlight bulbs.
    Incidentally, those GM rebate debit cards came in handy for the bulb purchases! :great:

The truck looks like new again, drives and runs like new as well, and just recently, some local dealer sales dept offered Me $5,200 for the truck.....of course You know where I told him to go!
    I'm going to drive this truck until I can no longer drive. :glasses:
  8. McClintoc

McClintoc Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

SOLID YES!! The Suburband isn't going anywhere.

1) Like this thread's first response says: it's an icon. GM would be foolish to get rid of it for that reason alone.

2) It's still a truck/suv/atv: a full-sized, 4-door truck with covered/enclosed cargo area - what's not to love? If I could afford one I would be driving a Suburban instead of a Silverado.

3) The competition: they say copying something is the best compliment to give. Ford has done this twice now. They made the Excursion which didn't do all that well (in the end) and now they have a extended-length Expedition. The market is there and while the 'Burb is still holding strong, Ford is trying to catch up.
  9. koyote

koyote New Member

18 months later on our 89 burb.

We got a check from a settlement and were considering some other vehicles. Nothing really *wrong* with the Suburban, but it's an 89 with 150k and it was time for brakes, front shocks, wheels, and it's sorta needing a paint referesh.

We looked. Me, pregnant wife, 3 kids. We looked and looked and looked. Used diesel F350s, expeditions, vans, even the super expensive dodge mega cab. The kids LOVE the suburban for travelling, wife loves the mormon cadillac for being able to actually GET to the baby seats all over the place. And seriously- it rides pretty nice for me as the driver.

Nope. Can't replace the Suburban for hauling kids, goats, groceries, plywood (yeah, I've done that) feed bags in the snow.

Can't buy a new one because they got tiny. End of story, shocks and brakes and one ball joint and alignment later, my tires are on order and I'm looking for an inexpensive paint referesh (I like the color fine).
  10. Caddiac

Caddiac New Member 1000 Posts

I believe that the times have changed but so has the Suburban. They have been made more efficient and offer a level of comfort that rivals luxury sedans. It has already been said; they can haul it all. I purchased a farm house style table and 6 chairs in Charleston SC and loaded em up in the Suburbeast for the 3.5 hour drive home. If there is a wreck on the interstate, and there usually is, all you need is a frontage road and a hole in the fence....... Been there, done that!:glasses: