Has the Chevy Suburban seen the end of the road? How do new Suburbans compare?

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by ChevyFan, Sep 17, 2011.

?

Chevy Suburban - Still Relevant?

1. Solid Yes - Still fills an essential need.

111 vote(s)
    82.8%
  2. Somewhat Yes - The world has changed, so has it.

19 vote(s)
    14.2%
  3. Somewhat No - Gas prices too high & smaller families today.

3 vote(s)
    2.2%
  4. Solid No - It served it's purpose, time to move on.

1 vote(s)
    0.7%
  1. BurbanMan

BurbanMan Member 1 Year 500 Posts

I have a 9th gen 1990 Model and love it. Every bit as comfortable as the 85 Chevy caprice I had. Will I buy a modern burban? No. Uglier than sin, countless sensors, and cannot be worked on or diagnosed by the average joe. I'll stick to the older stuff that I like and am plenty capable of fixing on the side of the road.

2. ChevyFan

ChevyFan The Sheriff Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I got a look at the 2015 Tahoe and Suburban today. They are actually pretty impressive and I think everyone is going to be surprised when they get revealed tomorrow.

3. BurbanMan

They look a hell of a lot better than the previous generation. I like the looks of the gmc better

4. Caddiac

Caddiac Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

Can't argue appearance, everyone has their own preferences. But as for the newer generations not being something the average guy can work on, I have to disagree. My 98 is actually easier to work on in many respects. You have to have some different tools to understand what the sensors are telling you. Best of all, you don't have to work on them as often.

GuyGene likes this.
  5. BurbanMan

I'm a broke joke and can't afford to spend the coin they want for a nifty computer. So no, the average joe can't work on them. The joe that ain't hurtin, sure. I don't know many people in this economy that ain't hurtin joes though. My wife has a 99 Tahoe, and I can't just walk out there and fix it with basic Han tools like I can with my 90

6. oldmanstruck

oldmanstruck Member

Let's face it, a new suburban probably will run at least $40K+? That's a lot of money. I don't know about you guys but I just can't see myself putting that much on a big SUV. I used to work on my 88 (had been with the family for LONG...Time) and I enjoyed it. But still, I am mainly doing "small" jobs, nothing related to opening the engine or tranny. I know with the proper tools, you can work on those older style easily. Newer one with so many computer stuffs, sensors, it's way overkill and most people just bring it to the dealer. I think if I have to buy another sub, it's going to be an older style.

7. MrJ52

MrJ52 New Member

I love my 03 yukon. With the 8.1 and 4.1 gears plus all the creature comforts I cant beat it. The problem is I can not also replace her either. The new Suburban big motor is a 5.3 and 3.42 gear with a low tow rating, The YUkon has the 6.2 and better towing but does not come close the 03 12100 pound capacity. AND if I option the burb out the msrp is 68000 Dollors. Its like Gm is trying out price the vehicle in-to extinction. My two cents. TIM

8. nvestysly

nvestysly Member

I'm a new forum member and I joined to learn more about my two Suburbans - a 1996 C2500 and a 2005 K2500. Consequently, I voted Solid Yes - I think Suburbans have a place in my future and I hope the next generation will be better than the last - how about a big block engine? How about a diesel? Is GM listening?

9. Only1Moore

Only1Moore New Member

I'm a Suburban fan and I like what Chevy did with the ninth to twelfth generation models. Once you drive them, you're a Suburban driver for life.

10. PACNWDude

PACNWDude New Member

I'm still driving an '87 Suburban, I am at least the third and probably the fourth or fifth owner. It gets used to haul sheets of plywood, fencing materials, and as a camping, hiking and hunting rig. Great for gravel road trips too. I drive a 2008 Suburban for work, and it just is not as utilitarian as my old personal one.
    Hopefully it stays on, but if they keep making it a "luxury grocery getter", I know I won't be able to convince my company to continue buying them. The push is to go to pickup trucks. Having covered storage and an off road capable design is great. I may resort to getting PPV models to buy me a few years, but the second row not folding flat, plastic bumpers, and leather covering everything is a turn off for hard use buyers.