Has this site helped you out? Feedback please

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by ChevyFan, Feb 19, 2011.

1. ChevyFan

ChevyFan The Sheriff Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

So I was listening to Ed Wallace (KLIF in Dallas/Fort Worth 8 am to 1 pm on Saturday) on the radio this morning and he railed against the car "blogs" (I think he meant forums or online communities in general) where those that respond to the "blog postings" don't have a clue as to the real problem and "don't know anything about the automotive industry"*.

So, my question is to all of you ... Do you get anything out of this website and the community that exists on here that has helped you out?

That can be anything from getting a technical question answered all the way to making a decision on what to buy, accessories and aftermarket decisions, finding a dealer or a repair facility or even DIY help that you found on here.

*Quotes are from the best of my memory as I don't have a transcript or a recording becuase he doesn't believe in podcasting.

2. TELORVEHC

TELORVEHC Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

This site is, without a doubt, an incredible concentration of automotive knowledge. All of the members from different walks of life have something to contribute. I have learned so much about automotive things in general since I became a member. Before I joined, I didn't even know how to read a sidewall or what wheel offset meant. Now I'm recommending tires to other members haha. All because of what I've learned here. Also, being able to converse with owners of the same vehicle is a great way to gain knowledge about how the vehicle functions, common problems and fixes, and advice on aftermarket parts and upgrades. This Ed Wallace guy is entitled to his opinion, but I think he is dead wrong for saying that online forums don't know anything about the automotive industry.

3. Als09Sierra

Als09Sierra Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I've learned more from this site than I could've from hanging around a garage. I was able to install HIDs thanks to posts on here. I don't know where Mr. Wallace was looking, but I've learned a ton from the guys on here who know what they're talking about. I'm not an expert, but there are a lot of guys and gals on here who are.

4. adampaul1964

adampaul1964 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

This site has been a wealth of knowledge for the 2 years I've been a member. We must be doing something right because the site keeps growing everyday. I know more about my vehicle now than I ever did, not to mention the social side of it, I consider all the members on here friends and would do anything I could to help any one of you guys.

5. 1991 Suburban

1991 Suburban Rockstar 100 Posts

So, apparently Ed Wallace is an idiot. This site is great! What I don't know, others may and vice versa. Just like people in the "automotive industry" we learn by experience. To hell with what he has to say!

6. Vincennes02261897

Vincennes02261897 Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

GMTC has certainly been extremely helpful. I'm not sure what sort of unfavorable experiences Mr. Wallace has had with automotive forums in the past but I've always found this one quite helpful. Although I have no experience with other vehicle forums, I have accessed and held memberships at forums on several other topics from cigars and wine to audio and computer equipment. Although every forum has certainly been helpful, others (such as GMTC) have certainly been more pleasurable to be a part of.

In short, this site has helped me numerous times. It has given me ideas as to the practicality and aesthetics of several different aftermarket accessories and has also helped me through several different problems I have encountered. In addition to the technical assistance offered by the members of GMTC, the site holds its own as a community of individuals with like minds and similar interests and hobbies. As such, it is more than just a helpful tool, it is a social medium that is a pleasure to be a part of.

7. pmf608

pmf608 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I won't go into details of how this site has been helpful to me, since it is generally a lot of smaller things that are useful (my Chevy is too reliable to need a lot of help on big issues), but I have found this site very helpful and I would hope others have found some of my posts to be useful to them. From what you've said there, this Ed Wallace seems to be a bit biased against technology in any form, so I think he needs to crawl out from under his rock and get with the times.

8. DAREDEVIL

DAREDEVIL Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

I love this site !!!! it helps and actually is fun also finding new friends is great here,,,everybody shares the same thing ..TRUCKS !!

KEEP IT UP , good job...ohh and maybe we can bump up the 13 rating..lol

9. jbjones240

jbjones240 Rockstar 100 Posts

I have found a wealth of knowlwdge on this site. Everyone is willing to help each other and provide a great sounding board for new ideas. i have been introduced to new products that I going to buy because of the success for members GMTC. Evey site is different and I kept finding the information that I need from this community, that is why I joined.

-JJ

10. jwco5.3

jwco5.3 Rockstar 100 Posts

x10

I've been on many sites that seemed more geared toward flaming each other and pi$$ing contests..:grrrrrr:..

Here its friendly and everyone helps each other. I've received much friendly, helpful advice on maintenance and upgrades for my truck. :great: