Have Automobile Forums Replaced Auto Repair Manuals?

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by ChevyFan, May 17, 2012.

1. McClintoc

McClintoc ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ Staff Member 2 Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I don't think repair manuals are completely dead. Dying? Maybe, but not dead. Internet forums may have replaced physical manuals as the go-to option these days but there are plenty of people that still want a physical book to look at. I have been using Internet forums for over a decade now and joined GMTC to get some first-hand knowledge about how to work on my truck but I also recently purchased a physical repair manual. Think of it as one supplements the other. If you have/use both you can't go wrong...or at least shouldn't go wrong.

2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Some of the info I provide for members on this site comes from the manuals, info such as torque specs. The info needs to come from somewhere before someone can post it here.

3. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I have both, too. However the times I've pulled out the manual I found it lacking and had to come online to get either info it lacked ... or more detail than it had. My manual may soon qualify as fire starting material. But you're right, hardcopy isn't dead yet. ("It's just a flesh wound...")

4. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

I agree that the hard copy manuals are dying but not only because of forums but also because most are available electronically. However, like many, I also have a book version. It stays with me in the truck. Who knows, I may be someplace where a computer or notepad is not available (or connectivity) and I'll need the help. I still think we are many years away from something like this completely vanishing.

5. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Connectivity is pretty ubiquitous with mobile devices being the rage, these days, so it's far more likely that you'll make a 'pit stop' at a gas station that has no toilet paper. Your hardcopy manual will serve you well in that scenario, too. :)

6. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Another use I had not thought of...not only the gas station but also may come in handy while off-roading. Very creative!