1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Have I hurt the rear differential ?

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by ibmoses, Mar 30, 2008.

1. ibmoses

ibmoses New Member

I have a 2wd 03 Silverado.

When the automatic locking rear differential engages it makes a loud clunking sound.

I must admit I have cut quite a few donuts on slick parking lots and wet grass, just playing around.

Now that I think of it the clunking was there when the truck was new...

Bert
  2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

Pretty common for a locking style diff to clunk when locking in. I wouldnt recommend continuing the donuts though, one day you'll snap an axle or U-joint if your lucky or blow the rear diff if your not lucky.
  3. ibmoses

ibmoses New Member

Thanks for the reply.
    The instinct to turn the wheel left and get the rear end spinning comes from years of dirt track racing...

Bert
  4. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

Cant blame ya, I have the same instincts too. I've tamed the instinct in the last few years after I realized how expensive it was getting repairing vehicles I was willingly tearing up.
  5. ibmoses

ibmoses New Member

This is probably a stupid question, but that never stopped me before...

Should I refrain from spinning my tires on pavement?

The other night the roads were damp and I was playing around trying to impress my 12 year old niece by spinning the tires. Every time I do it I get a loud clunk when the rear end locks...

Bert:eek:ut: