1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Have you checked the mount of your spare tire lately??

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by AMac, Apr 2, 2012.

1. AMac

AMac Member 2 Years GMTC Chick 500 Posts ROTM Winner

There are a lot of members on here who remind us of the battles we must fight when it comes to rust on our vehicles. A local incident happened on Sunday where the mount of a spare tire became so rusted that the tire was dropped from its mounting position on a pickup truck. The tire bounced down the road and landed on someone's windshield then preceded to get lodged into the wheel well of the next car. The amount of damage was surprising considering it was just a tire that came loose, but the owners of the damaged cars seem more concerned with the scenario of "what could have happened". Luckily no one was injured but this is definitely worth consideration for many people whose vehicles are subject to corrosives such as the winter month's road salt

here is a 2 1/2 minute video if you're interested

http://www.wmur.com/video/30814934/detail.html

2. reggiecab2000

reggiecab2000 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

that is some scary stuff to think about, but that IS reality sadly!

3. TritonBoulder47

TritonBoulder47 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

I had to unbolt mine from the frame (by the way, only ONE bolt holds the mount winch to the truck, well thats how it was on my '03 Av) and then had to use a torch to get the rusted piece off my wheel... Now my spare is alway in the bed... Its just easier that way... lol

4. sevi084x4

sevi084x4 Rockstar 100 Posts

O wow i hate when that happens! haha

5. Burden33

Burden33 Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

thanks for the info amac. This is why i took my spare tire out plus i had to install my exhaust.