1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Have you hugged your temporary spare today?

Discussion in 'Chevy Car Forum' started by Jamm3r, Dec 17, 2012.

1. silverhobey

silverhobey Member

jsut took mine off for the winter ----2 1/2 year old spare and the rim shows
    a little surface rust ..Oiled the Mechanism and Cable and oil sprayed the heck
    out of the area where the tire covered the under-carriage. I will soak with more
    oil in a few days and then leave the Spare in the bed for the winter.I will
    probably tie it down with 1500 lb ratchet strap rather then buying a Spare Tire
    mount for in the bed for 4 months. Brian
  2. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

My spare tire and rim are matched to the other four shoes one sees on my truck. The spare is lowered at least every 6 months just to work and lube the mechanism that holds it in place. Tire pressure is checked at that time. I also carry a puny inflator (for now) in case I need the spare and need to add pressure.

As to the OP's original inquiries -- Spare tire pressure should really be checked as often as other tires, if able. You can get away with a lot less if you carry an inflator to use and know to check pressure before relying on the spare -- such that you can add pressure if needed before you drive on it.

Should you replace the donut? That's your call. Most cars come with them to save weight -- which provides some fuel economy -- so understand that some mpg may be lost if you move up to a full-size tire. (This assumes the vehicle can carry a full-size tire, as many, today, don't have spare tire wells that will hold a full-size tire.) Tossing a pressure gauge and a can of fix-a-flat with the intention that both be used (as needed) prior to driving on the donug might be the best bet in terms of cost and weight. After all, who cares if the steel rim (of the donut) has its insides gummed up with fix-a-flat?
  3. 1953bowtieguy

1953bowtieguy New Member

Why do you do that all the time. Your tires are just that bad or what?
  4. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Super Moderator 1000 Posts

Well really only on the side streets cuz they do bad job plowing. Also the snow here is wet and very slippery.

- - - Updated - - -

Well really only on the side streets cuz they do bad job plowing. Also the snow here is wet and very slippery.
  5. 1953bowtieguy

1953bowtieguy New Member

[MENTION=52248]Conlan Rose[/MENTION] Don't the tires jump if you turn real sharp tho. And my dad has the same problem with his 95 GMC. But i know that that is the tires fault. Cuz if you give it gas on a lil bit slipery road. It will just sit there and spin.
  6. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Super Moderator 1000 Posts

I rarely have a problem with that. My tires do need to be replaced tho.
  7. Curky

Curky New Member 1000 Posts

My spare tire, hahaha. It is too small. If I get a Flat I will just fix that, then by 4 for the truck and keep the one I bought for the spare. It is just the way I bought it. So I will deal with when the time comes or I hit the lottery. This is why I keep a low limit on my sears card. Emergency’s.