Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

hd trailer package problem

Discussion in 'Towing & Trailer Tech' started by drwdominance, Jun 12, 2010.

1. drwdominance

drwdominance Rockstar

Ok, 07 sierra classic which i have had for about 8 months which has the trailer package. bought a 17ft expandable travel trailer. the electronic brake control light is always on even without the trailer hooked up. so there is a problem with either the brake control unit or the trailer package.
    my question is how hard is it to diagnose the problem and what should i use to diagnose the problem?

any insight?

2. 2COR517

2COR517 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Disconnect the harness to the trailer plug and see if it goes out. What kind of controller is it?

3. drwdominance

drwdominance Rockstar

i will try that. it's a tekonsha voyager.

4. 2COR517

2COR517 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

If the light is on, there is a load on the controller. Could be corrosion in the trailer plug, or a bent pin.

I hated my Voyager. Seemed like it was on or off.

5. drwdominance

drwdominance Rockstar

so the way it is right now is that with no trailer hooked up the green light is on but when i touch the brake pedal the light goes out. it almost seems completely backwards.