1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

head gasket?

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by 97chev, Dec 23, 2009.

1. 97chev

97chev New Member

hey i was just wondering if someone would be able to tell me if my headgasket is gone or not , this is what happened the other night i was driving home an all of a sudden my 97 1500 lost all heat an the heat gauge went to the max an then back down to half, where it useullay stays an the quarter mark, then today when i started it was down about half gallon of antifreeze so i filled the rad back up an i got heat again , so if any one couldlet me know anything about this problem it would be greatly appericated thank you.
  2. TritonBoulder47

TritonBoulder47 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

There's defineltely a leak somewhere... Check all your hoses and such...
  3. 97chev

97chev New Member

ok, i was thiknig that it might of been there thermostate but i had one of my buddies to look at it an there looked to be 2 quarts of oil over the full mark then we went for a drive an it didint heat or nothing an checked the oil when we came back an it dropped to a little over full
  4. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Check that oil for beads of water or coolant.
    I would suspect you've got a bad headgasket.
  5. 97chevz71

97chevz71 Rockstar ROTM Winner 100 Posts

IF you look on top of the intake where the anitfreeze hose goes into. where it is connected they are very prowne to leaking there.
  6. r19baxter

r19baxter New Member

It deff sounds like a head gasket leak and its going into the oil. The s- series r know for this I've had 2. My advice is not to drive it and change the oil u'll prbly c all ur lost antifreeze, if so i'd say replace the intake gasket as said the s series chew thru them and this sounds just like that. btw u may want to tear the motor apart or at least the top of it to check for damage too many goods motrs have been destroyed b/c of this
  7. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Your more likely that you have lost the intake gasket, the vortec 350 is known for that, especially if you know it hasnt been changed and the truck has over 100,000mi. For sure check your oil though, and dont drive the truck anymore, water is not a lubricant. You have to rip everything apart anyway, so it would be just a wise investment to change ALL the gaskets at once to save on a future failure when you could get them all taken care for at once.
  8. azdrtdog

azdrtdog Epic Member 5+ Years 100 Posts

Fisrt if you have water in your oil it turns to chocolate milk no mistaking that and VNCj is right suspecting intake they are more prone to failure then head gaskets
  9. bigdaddy77084

bigdaddy77084 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

I had a 96 2500 with 75k on it and the intake started to leak, it took a week to find it, after changing the water pump. Oh that sweet smell..