1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

head light problem

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by z7177, Apr 20, 2009.

1. z7177

z7177 New Member

I have some projector head lights and iv had them for about a year and one of my lowbeam lights went out. im not that good with electrical stuff but need some advice on how to replace it and was also wondering if there is anywere that i can buy some cheap colored bulbs.
  2. vncj96

vncj96 New Member 1000 Posts

I cant help with the projector but with how big your truck is be careful with the bulbs you get as it is illegal to have a rainbow effect bulb (the colored halo some bulbs produce, especially chep ones) and I am sure your truck draws attention from the FUZZ already.
  3. Springthing

Springthing New Member 1000 Posts

It really all depends on what kind of projector lights you have. Essentially what you will want to do it pull out the headlight housing and you will notice two plastic/rubber caps on the back with wires that go to them. Just turn, like you're unscrewing a jar, the outer cap and pull back, the lightbulb should come out. Just pop it out of the holder and replace it.

Again- it's difficult to say because of the aftermarket projector lights - although they are built similar they all differ.
  4. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 New Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

Well like springthing said there are rubber boots on the back of the headlights that come off and reveal the bulb holder, on mine I had to use a pair of needle nose pliars to pull the two spade connectors off of the housing and bulb itself. Mine were the H1 bulbs in both the high beam and low beam, Also mine are made by Matrix if that helps any but they are all made different. TYC, MATRIX, ANZO, ALTEZZA, which one's do you have on your truck? You shouldn't have to do any wiring at all, just unplug them and put the new one's in.

Here's a picture of the rubber boot with the hot and ground wires coming out of it, just ignore all of the other crap in the picture. Yours should look just like this, visual aids rule!
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2009
  5. z7177

z7177 New Member

alright thanks it seems simple but im not sure what kind they are because they were on there when i bought the truck is there any way i can tell
  6. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 New Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

If you could take a very close picture of one of the headlights, I could tell if it's an Anzo or Matrix headlight just from the design of them. But some of them have a stamp embedded to the outside of the casing, but other than that there is no way to tell really. One major difference you can tell right away is the Matrix have large side LED's which is a replaceable 194 base LED, and the Matrix LED's are a tiny LED which you have to get either on the internet or at Radio Shack and the housing has to be opened to get to these.