1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Head lights on a Trailblazer?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trailblazer Forum (GMC Envoy)' started by Cableguy, Mar 5, 2007.

1. Cableguy

Cableguy Active Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Ok this is lame but instead of fumbling around like an idiot, I need to replace head light bulbs. Whats the best bulb to get? What do I need to remove to get at them? Am I going to lose any fingers like in a mechanical rice picker (kidding) I've never had to do modern style bulbs before. Gimme your best play by play.
  2. TrailLeadr

TrailLeadr New Member 1000 Posts

If it's anything like our Avalanche, you just unclip the headlight assy, and remove it from the body. The bulb is a 1/4 turn, and it's out. Shouldn't need any tools to get it done. The TB has that large headlamp assy, so I can't say for sure.
  3. Cableguy

re:head light replacement 03 trailblazer

Thx Patrick. I found these instructions. If you have small hands you can do it without doing this. If you have big mitts do the following...

1.FACE THE VEHICLE SO THAT BATTERY IS ON YOUR RIGHT;
    2.REMOVE THE BLACK PLASTIC PIECE THAT RUNS OVER RADIATOR BETWEEN HOOD LATCH AND FAN. IT IS ABOUT 53 1/2" LONG AND HOLDS THE HOOD PROP CLIP. (3 PLASTIC PUSH RETAINERS & 2 SHEET METAL SCREWS);
    3.REMOVE THE GRILL ASSEMBLY UNDERNEATH THE PIECE IN STEP 2 BY PUSHING DOWN FIRMLY ON 4 RETAINER CLIPS WHICH RUN ALONG THE TOP. USE A WIDE SLOT SCREWDRIVER. PULL UP GENTLY ON GRILL ASSEMBLY. IT WILL POP OUT. THE GRILL ASSEMBLY EXTENDS UNDER EACH HEADLIGHT ASSEMBLY (HA) AND IT DISPLAYS THE CHEVROLET LOGO IN THE MIDDLE. MY GRILL ASSEMBLY POPPED OUT EASILY AND ALL THE OTHER RETAINER CLIPS ON THE BOTTOM AND BENEATH AND TO THE SIDE OF HA WERE AUTOMATICALLY RELEASED WITHOUT ANY FUSS;
    4.ON TOP OF HA SEE ONE TAB (ABOUT 1" LONG)ON THE RIGHT SIDE AND ONE ON THE LEFT (THE ONE ON L IS CLOSER TO THE FENDER);
    5.PULLUPWARDDIRECTION ON TABS. THEY WILL SLIDE UPWARD A COUPLE OF INCHES AND WILL RELEASE THE HA WHICH YOU CAN THEN PULL OUT TOWARDS YOU;
    6.AT BACK OF THE HA, REMOVE 2 ROUND RUBBER CAPS (ABOUT 4" IN DIAMETER)--ONE FOR LOW BEAM--ONE FOR HIGH. REVEAL BULBS. UNSNAP THE WIRE HARNESS FROM BULB BASE AND TURN BULB 1/4 TURN CLOCKWISE (REMEMBER YOU ARE FACING THE TRUCK)
    7.REPLACE BULB(S). #9006 BULB IS GRAY-BASE, FOR HIGH BEAM ON OUTSIDE. #9005 IS BLACK-BASE, LOW BEAM TO INSIDE OF HIGH BEAM.
    CHANGING HIGH AND LOW AND REASSEMBLY.
  4. TrailLeadr

It looks like they left out the part where you have to check your washer fluid level, and click your heels twice.:tongue:

Good find on the instructions:biggrin: , sorry to hear it's so involved.:frown:

Honestly, if I were in your position, I would find someone with small hands, and pay them $10 to reach in there, and do it for me.
  5. Cableguy

Ya its to cold out to fart around with it so I took my mechanic buddy a coffee and he did it for me. Thats what I'm talkin' about...LOL.
    I did help him and it's fairly easy. Why is everything so plasticy nowadays?
  6. Cableguy

It would be nice to put these "How to's" in one place on message board. So people can search and find these answers easier...just a thought.
  7. TrailLeadr

I think it's in the works.
    Right Steve? <hint hint>:tongue:

Seriously though,
    If you, or anyone else has a helpful "how to" they want to post, feel free. Once a proper home has been established we'll move the threads over.
  8. Cableguy

Ya sometimes I don't save this stuff and you have to find it all over again.
    Then we can refer people directly to how to's. Thx Patrick
  9. Cableguy

Oh by the way I put in those G.E. nite hawks. They work real cool. Nice and bright.
  10. TrailLeadr

Are they white, or is there a color tint when viewed. I picked up some sylvanias as a cheap replacement, and they actually had a blue hue to them. Not that I'm complaining, but I'm hearing more and more that the local police are cracking down on blue-ish lights.