1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Head Unit Help!

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by chevycamarado, Sep 12, 2009.

1. chevycamarado

chevycamarado Member

Hey I need you guy's opinions. Im planning to get a Pioneer AVH-P4100DVD and was wondering whether or not to install it myself (with minimal electrical experience) or pay to have it done by others. I want to get a backup cam also, but since it requires running new wires I dont wanna mess with that.

Let me know your guy's experience with 09 Silverado head units.

Thanks!
  2. 04SilverChevy

04SilverChevy Rockstar 100 Posts

Hooking up headunits is pretty easy. All you do is hook the colored wires up where they tell ya. Not too bad. I know i would never pay someone to install on for me. Then again i've done a few but still.. .never learn to ya give it a try.
  3. leadpan101

leadpan101 Rockstar

do it your self, that way you know it is done right, i have seen some of the things, best buy and other places, have done, as far a backup cam, that just require getting under the truck, no big deal
  4. zubbiez

zubbiez Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

kinda depends on where you buy your deck, be cautious some places that sell stereo equipment will not replace self installed decks and will only send it to the manufacturer if it breaks, because they say they dont know if you fried it. some will but some wont just make sure you ask if theyl warrenty a self install. I have been on the wrong side of this.
  5. Padre

Padre Rockstar

Does this interface with the XM, Onstar, Steering wheel controls and bluetooth?
  6. ahmitchell1

ahmitchell1 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I didnt no anything bout car and trucks i started trying and fixing and now ive fully restored a chevelle and a 65 with just a few buddys who learned justhow i did and we r all under 21. i say try it its cheaper
  7. kwconch021

kwconch021 Rockstar

do it your self, or if you are so fortunate to have a buddy that knows everything audio, have him do it but watch his every step and ask questions so i fyou ever need to get back there you wont be shooting in the dark. my friend has a monte carlo with a back up cam, a little easier for him to run those wires bc he can go straight thru his trunk and up to the front, but as stated before you will probably have to run some wires under neath your truck, i want one but its not a major necessity.. good luck and let us know how you did!
  8. Knucklehead

Knucklehead Rockstar 100 Posts

Id say do it yourself , it should be fiarly easy if you buy the aftermarket wire harness for your model truck, the wires are already coded to match up with most after market stereos.
  9. Oscarvan

Oscarvan Rockstar

STOP. The "new" 2007-2009 has a number of high tech issues. As someone pointed out earlier, all your chimes, On-Star, Bluetooth runs through the radio. Secondly, the CAN bus provides the power and this is not as straight forward as previous models. (If you don't know what the CAN bus is........) There are interfaces available to do what you want to do.....

I recommend you call these people:

http://www.pac-audio.com/Products.aspx?CategoryId=26
  10. Kaiser-Wave

Kaiser-Wave Rockstar

yes you are correct or also known as "lan-bus" this system is definately not as str8 forward, and as for in stalling a backup camera its more than just running wires you still need to know where the reverse wire is for the camera to turn on while in reverse. if you dont know anyone that knows that body style truck then i would take it somewhere for sure. I remember the very first 07 i worked on and i used the harness Metra told me to use and it wasnt the right one which caused the trucks gauges to turn on every light and the needles just sat there and moved up and down, truck also wouldn't start i even had the same problem with an 07 cobalt ss, im not kidding either these were first hand experiences when these models first came out! luckily metra has the right harnesses for all these years now........