1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Head Unit Suggestions

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by aloxdaddy99, Oct 4, 2012.

Random Gallery Photos

1. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I am researching new double din Nav radio's. I would like to replace my stock head unit at the same time I do my other upgrades to the sound system. My wife has a Kenwood DNX6990 (I think that is the one she has) so I am some what familar with that radio. What I am interested in is other makes and models. What you like/dislike about them. Yes I know this is a subjective question but who would know better about specific model flaws better than someone who owens one? The options I would like to keep are my steering wheel controls, bluetooth, USB, and XM. Other than what came from the factory I would also like Nav (preferably Garmin) and a DVD player. That would be for the CFO while on trips. I figure I throw a Harry Potter DVD in and she won't complain about my driving. Although the dogs get sick when she is driving not while I am. But anyways any suggestions would be appreciated.
  2. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

For ease of use and Great Nav and sound Sq Kenwood is the way to go...
  3. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

This times two. :great:

Note:
    Kenwood's units use Garmin for nav and I believe they're the only ones who do. (Pioneer doesn't, I know this for sure.) I've tried a number of portable nav devices (TomTom, Magellan, Garmin) through the years and found that I personally prefer Garmin units.

As for options -- steering wheel controls are provided by an aftermarket module (unaffiliated with the head unit manufacturer) to whatever unit you choose ... as long as it can support steering wheel controls. Most double-DIN units can. XM is also typically a module that plugs into the unit -- and you need to buy it separately.

So basically the head unit really comes down to DVD, Nav, BT and USB ports for things like iPhones. Nav ends up being the real differentiator in most cases because most of today's Nav-capable units have DVD, BT, and USB support.
  4. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I have always liked Kenwood, they stand behind their products and don't fudge the specs like allot of other manufacturers do. I would recommend for the best experience to go with the Excelon series (Like Sony ES, no longer made), Pioneer Elite (No longer made for car audio).

The Excelon Series is Kenwoods top stuff.
  5. The Heater

The Heater Member 100 Posts

I will also suggest Kenwood.
  6. Burden33

Burden33 New Member 100 Posts

I ended up going with pioneer but that was only for the fact I could use
    My
    iPhone and the app modes with it. But if I had to do it over again it would be kenwood. I had kenwood in my old 93 k1500 blazer and loved it and would recommend it to anyone
  7. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Thank you all for the replies. I ended up getting a DNX6990. One of the main reasons for me picking that one over other was that we already have one in another car. So I don't have to learn new controls. The price was easier on the wallet than say a 9990 would have been.