1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Header coating question

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by HawaiiKid, Sep 21, 2010.

1. HawaiiKid

HawaiiKid Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Looking for some advice on what to get headers wise. I know I will be getting shorty headers (don't wanna deal with the hassle of long tubes), and I'm thinking about the Edelbrock shortys, but the real question I have is: is the coating that they come with really that important, outside of aesthetics? I know ceramic coating is going to keep the heat in the engine bay down a bit, but is that really going to matter very much on a purely street truck? Here are the ones that I'm lookin at...the first 2 or 3.

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stor...5748 1010245 4294965578&catalogId=10002&Nty=0
  2. JennaBear

JennaBear Rockstar 100 Posts

I really would recommend you spend your money elsewhere rather than shortys. If you still go forth, I would recommend Jet Hot coating.
  3. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

What ever header you decide on get them coated, you won't be sorry.
  4. HawaiiKid

So Jenna you don't think the shorty headers are worth the money? I have a camshaft and lim-slip diff on the way in the next month or so also, so I thought with the cam the shortys would help the engine flow quite a bit better? You would def know more about it than me though, what do you think?
  5. hundojoe

hundojoe Rockstar 100 Posts

Go with American Racing Headers, got them on my truck, best set of headers Ive ever owned, and id never buy any other brand after owning these. They are not inexpensive by any means but they dont leak and the coating is very durable.
  6. silveradotrailblazer

X2 on the AmericanRacingHeaders.
  7. JennaBear

Shortys really aren't that much different than your stock manifolds, so your performance yield will be next to nothing considering the money you spend on them. Also, your handheld can not tune for the cam, nor the headers that you are planning.
  8. HawaiiKid

Good to know, thanks Jenna. Wish I could afford one of your Magnachargers, would make all of this "searching for power" easier!!
  9. JennaBear

HP and TQ = $$$ :rules:
  10. silveradotrailblazer

HP stands for HorsePower and HighPrice.