Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Header help

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by mitchlbuck, May 6, 2010.

1. mitchlbuck

mitchlbuck New Member

I have a 2003 5.3L silverado 1500 and i was looking at buying some headers. i have it straight piped right now, i still have my cats though. i wanted some headers that will give me more power but i want to make it louder mainly. i was lookin at Gibson ones but not sure how they are. Anyone got any suggestions on which headers would make it the loudest? or are they all about the same?

2. bjwelch76

bjwelch76 New Member

From personal experience, they both make it louder, but the longtube headers make the most noise. The long tubes that I have used in the past require the cats being removed and exhaust cutting/welding required for fitting. The long tubes also create the most added HP compared to the shortys. With the cats out of the way, you get more free flowing exhaust and louder sound too.:glasses:

3. Silverado Junkie

Silverado Junkie Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Hes right. Long tube headers and no cats. Thats the biggest thing i stress to everyone is to get rid of your cats. They are worthless and all they do is restrict power and quiet your motor. Ive got straight pipes too and i hope you stick with them, they sound awesome.

4. mitchlbuck

mitchlbuck New Member

yeah thats what i wanted too.. but cops up here are dicks and will give me a loud exhaust ticket :grrrrrr: or would it be worth it? thats why i was thinking shorty headers with the cats still. maybe high flow cats?

Last edited: May 7, 2010
  5. bjwelch76

bjwelch76 New Member

You know, I actually got stopped about three weeks ago for my exhaust. The cop tried to write me a ticket stating "glass packs are illegal". I told him that if he could find glass packs on it, then feel free to write me a ticket. Long story short, we ended up in an argument about my whether or not Flowmasters were glass packs. I love stupid people. Ended up on the internet on my cell phone and actually showing him an exploded view of a flowmaster versus a magnaflow. He was not happy, but I didn't get a ticket either. :lol:

6. j-schmizzle

j-schmizzle Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

glad you didn't get a ticket.

7. mitchlbuck

mitchlbuck New Member

some of my buuddies are saying that since my truck is straight piped, headers won't make it any louder?? is that true?

8. dualdj1

dualdj1 Rockstar 100 Posts

Any time you flow more air, you're going to produce more noise as well, if you don't have any sort of deadening (mufflers, cats, etc). With a good set of headers you'll flow more air over stock.