Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Headers for a 5.3

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by ajfdirtrider, Oct 6, 2010.

1. ajfdirtrider

ajfdirtrider Rockstar

Are shorty headers for a 5.3 really worth it in the long run. Is there a gain in sound, performance, economy. Basically post your opinion of your headers good or bad.

2. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Shorty Headers are to close to your stock manifolds.....but they are for the most part a direct bolt-on with no mods to your exhaust,
    Long Tube Headers will yield much better gain in low end torque,but your exhaust will need to be reworked and of course more $$$

3. stephan

stephan Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

Yep, X2 what 99Heartbeat said Dirtrider. Shorty headers don't offer much except an easy installation. If you want performance and better economy spring for a set of long tube, equal length headers

4. rutroe

rutroe New Member

Agreed...long tubes for the win!

5. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Shorties are good if you have emmission laws etc. Long tubes do make more power. Also if you buy a set of long tubes with the intermediate pipe and you have a suspension lift, leveling kits are o.k., the cross over pipe may hit the front driveshafts on 4X4 trucks.

6. KWG08VMI

KWG08VMI Rockstar 100 Posts

I had a set of shorties on my '02 and i could tell a little difference in the sound, but that's pretty much it. I don't know about HP or MPG because I put the CAI and programmer on at the same time.

7. ZSI52

ZSI52 Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

long tubes or doug thorley tri-y's.

8. adam0285

adam0285 Rockstar

I'll throw my vote behind getting a set of long tube headers. There are a few companies like Pacesetter and American Racing make them for a very reasonable price.

9. Fan45acp

Fan45acp Member

Don't waste your money on shorties.Buy some KOOKS or AMERICAN RACING HEADERS.They come with converters (2) and a Y pipe for about $1500.

10. KWG08VMI

KWG08VMI Rockstar 100 Posts

$1500 !! that's more than I spent on a full stainless custom bent set up. And that was true duals all the way out the back.