Headers for a 5.3

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by ajfdirtrider, Oct 6, 2010.

1. ajfdirtrider

ajfdirtrider Rockstar

Are shorty headers for a 5.3 really worth it in the long run. Is there a gain in sound, performance, economy. Basically post your opinion of your headers good or bad.

2. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Shorty Headers are to close to your stock manifolds.....but they are for the most part a direct bolt-on with no mods to your exhaust,
    Long Tube Headers will yield much better gain in low end torque,but your exhaust will need to be reworked and of course more $$$

3. stephan

stephan Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

Yep, X2 what 99Heartbeat said Dirtrider. Shorty headers don't offer much except an easy installation. If you want performance and better economy spring for a set of long tube, equal length headers

4. rutroe

rutroe New Member

Agreed...long tubes for the win!

5. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Shorties are good if you have emmission laws etc. Long tubes do make more power. Also if you buy a set of long tubes with the intermediate pipe and you have a suspension lift, leveling kits are o.k., the cross over pipe may hit the front driveshafts on 4X4 trucks.

6. KWG08VMI

KWG08VMI Rockstar 100 Posts

I had a set of shorties on my '02 and i could tell a little difference in the sound, but that's pretty much it. I don't know about HP or MPG because I put the CAI and programmer on at the same time.

7. ZSI52

ZSI52 Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

long tubes or doug thorley tri-y's.

8. adam0285

adam0285 Rockstar

I'll throw my vote behind getting a set of long tube headers. There are a few companies like Pacesetter and American Racing make them for a very reasonable price.

9. Fan45acp

Fan45acp Member

Don't waste your money on shorties.Buy some KOOKS or AMERICAN RACING HEADERS.They come with converters (2) and a Y pipe for about $1500.

10. KWG08VMI

KWG08VMI Rockstar 100 Posts

$1500 !! that's more than I spent on a full stainless custom bent set up. And that was true duals all the way out the back.