1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Headers for a 91 Suburban

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by Crawdaddy, Aug 18, 2011.

1. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy ↑↑↑ Has no life Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I seem to be having a difficult time finding headers for the 1991 Suburban R1500. I was originally looking for shortys so they'd bolt up to the factory exhaust, but the only pair I've found are around $700. Then my muffler fell apart, so I guess I'm accelerating my plans to revamp the exhaust. So, I've started looking for long tubes. Well, I haven't been having much luck with that either. It seems that only Heddman have headers to fit the truck, and they're still in the $300-500 range. That seems a bit high for a pair of headers, but I might be wrong. Any suggestions on headers that'll fit and don't cost an arm and a leg?

2. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

It's hard to find a set of headers now for under $300.00. Most companies are making there headers to be emission legal which means they have to last I believe its 5yrs/50,000 miles. So there made with better materials. Have you tried FlowTech? They seem to have inexpensive headers for other cars/trucks.

3. Crawdaddy

I'll check them out. So far, I've only checked SummitRacing and Jegs, but I figured if there was a compatible set of headers available, one of them would list it.

4. k.daddy1

k.daddy1 Rockstar 100 Posts

I had the same problem with headers on my 85. The tech folks kept telling me they didn't make a shorty header. Went to Hedmans website and found a set for a 3/4 tone and 1 ton with a 350 motor. Called the tech guy back and asked him why the shorty's for a 3/4 and 1 ton wouldn't work on my 1/2 ton, his answer was the 350's are different. Duh idiot. I ordered the set and they fit!!! The set I ordered would fit 3/4-1 tons from 1967 to 1995 or 1996.

5. Crawdaddy

You don't happen to have a part number, would you? I'm still only finding Hedmans long-tube headers. Part # 69088 seems to be the right application for that, and Jegs wants just under $400 for them. I guess I'll pick them up and hold onto them until I'm ready to redo the exhaust.... I can't afford to have this truck down during hurricane season.

6. k.daddy1

k.daddy1 Rockstar 100 Posts

Part number 69640, they cost a little under 300 smackers. Hope this helps!