Headers for a 91 Suburban

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by Crawdaddy, Aug 18, 2011.

1. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Moderator Staff Member

I seem to be having a difficult time finding headers for the 1991 Suburban R1500. I was originally looking for shortys so they'd bolt up to the factory exhaust, but the only pair I've found are around $700. Then my muffler fell apart, so I guess I'm accelerating my plans to revamp the exhaust. So, I've started looking for long tubes. Well, I haven't been having much luck with that either. It seems that only Heddman have headers to fit the truck, and they're still in the $300-500 range. That seems a bit high for a pair of headers, but I might be wrong. Any suggestions on headers that'll fit and don't cost an arm and a leg?
  2. It's hard to find a set of headers now for under $300.00. Most companies are making there headers to be emission legal which means they have to last I believe its 5yrs/50,000 miles. So there made with better materials. Have you tried FlowTech? They seem to have inexpensive headers for other cars/trucks.
  3. Crawdaddy

I'll check them out. So far, I've only checked SummitRacing and Jegs, but I figured if there was a compatible set of headers available, one of them would list it.
  4. k.daddy1

k.daddy1 New Member

I had the same problem with headers on my 85. The tech folks kept telling me they didn't make a shorty header. Went to Hedmans website and found a set for a 3/4 tone and 1 ton with a 350 motor. Called the tech guy back and asked him why the shorty's for a 3/4 and 1 ton wouldn't work on my 1/2 ton, his answer was the 350's are different. Duh idiot. I ordered the set and they fit!!! The set I ordered would fit 3/4-1 tons from 1967 to 1995 or 1996.
  5. Crawdaddy

You don't happen to have a part number, would you? I'm still only finding Hedmans long-tube headers. Part # 69088 seems to be the right application for that, and Jegs wants just under $400 for them. I guess I'll pick them up and hold onto them until I'm ready to redo the exhaust.... I can't afford to have this truck down during hurricane season.
  6. k.daddy1

k.daddy1 New Member

Part number 69640, they cost a little under 300 smackers. Hope this helps!