1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Headers...questions

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Edgar_505, Sep 24, 2009.

1. Edgar_505

Edgar_505 New Member

Hey what's up guys...I have a question I own a '02 Silveardo with a Cat-Back Exhaust..
    I want to put headers on my truck but I don't know which one's to get the shorties or long tubes..
    They told me that long tubes give you more horse power...
    My truck is a 4x4 would it be a problem installing them if a got long tubes??
    and also I already have a exhaust system would the headers just bolt on to the exhaust system like the factory ones??Thanks for the help..I appreciate it!
  2. sc99z71

sc99z71 Rockstar 100 Posts

I think you would have to go with Shorties, the Long Tubes do not bolt up "in place" of the stock manifolds, but the shorties will. Thats what I understand someone correct me if I'm wrong.
  3. zubbiez

zubbiez Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

I have a set of JBA shorties they are a bolt on. this helps out alot if you have emissions testing in your area.However the power gains you will see from shortie headers is nowhere near what you would see from long tubes.
  4. Edgar_505

Edgar_505 New Member

So you guys are saying I should get shorties.?
    well my friends were just telling me to get opened race headers...
    And that long tubes are better sounding and you get more hp out of them..
  5. sc99z71

sc99z71 Rockstar 100 Posts

Thats trus about long tubes but you wouldn't be able to bolt them up to your existing exhaust.
  6. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

If you have a race truck than use race headers, race headers on a street truck engine kills the bottom end power. I have JBA shorties because I have a 4X4 and wanted theground clearance. If clearance is not a problem than go with long tubes because they do make more bottom end torque. As with any header dont buy cheapies. The cheapies dont last and leak.
  7. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

You would have to redo your exhaust with long tubes, and if it is just a daily driver, have fun on the weekend go with shorties, plus depending on where you live you probably have emissions laws that would not make long tubes street legal.

On a side note, Zubbiez and silveradotrailblazer, how do you like the JBA's. I am considering them and they are a local company. The others would be banks and then on the cheap side edelbrocks.
  8. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Headers...question

dsfloyd, I have JBAs on my 05 Z-71 , over 76,000miles, 96 Suburban over 150,000 miles and the only issue Ive had is at 120,000 miles on the Suburban the collector cracked. I found this out when I put seafoam in the engine and smoke creeped out the crack. JBA warrantied it, of course because of age and mileage it was pro rated, I can understand that with 120,000miles on them and over ten years old. I do install stage 8 header locks. I dont put the locks themselves on the header bolts until I run the truck threw several heat cycles and retorque the bolts. About every 12,000 miles I retorque the header bolts and I have no gasket issues by doing this. Iworked at a shop where we were a JBA dealer and we installed to many to remember, but if we had a issue and that was few, they were great with customer service.