1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Headers

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by Jarrett, Jan 24, 2010.

1. Jarrett

Jarrett Rockstar 100 Posts

I was wondering how much headers would increase the performance of my truck. Has anyone bought any after market headers and put them on their truck? If you have, would you let me know how the results turned out.
  2. Stealth

Stealth Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

From what I've heard, headers do add a little performance by themselves, but you will only see any significant gains when they are coupled with other performance mods like an intake, cat-back, and tuner. Hope that helps
  3. Jarrett

Jarrett Rockstar 100 Posts

Thanks for your help, I already have a cat back exhaust, and I plan on making my own cold air intake, but I'm not sure about the tuner.
  4. Stealth

Stealth Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I am planning on going with a Diablo tuner, i have heard that it will remove the torque management, fix the air flow and recalibrate the computer for better performance/mileage. I have heard of huge gains with a programmer, especially on diesel trucks.
  5. Metaluzc

Metaluzc Rockstar 4 Years 100 Posts

Different sites and manufacturers claim HP gains of 20HP+ by just adding on a set of headers. I already had a cold air intake on my truck and I installed a set of BBK Performance Headers and a MBRP Cat-Back Exhaust a few weeks back and I can feel a lot more power, better throttle response and increased acceleration. I think you will be pleased if you install headers. I'm in the same boat for buying a programmer, seems that MANY members are leaning towards the Diablo.
  6. scrappiedew1

scrappiedew1 Rockstar

if you have tbi check the racing guys .com web site i ordered a in take for my sons 91 chev 5.7 came with the filter for about 50 to 60$$ it is nice problem with headers is you are always on the gas to here them roar
  7. Chad01

Chad01 Member

Do you plan on longtube headers or shorties? Whatever route you plan on taking, throw on some high-flow cats in place of those crap stock cats. Headers, high-flow cats, and performance mufflers... you'll get a real nice sound and up your MPG's a little. If you're going to do the exhaust, do the whole thing. It can only perform as good as the weakest link...