Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Headers?

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by Silverado1500, Jun 16, 2010.

1. Silverado1500

Silverado1500 Rockstar 100 Posts

im looking for some nice headers for sound and performance for around 200 bucks. im not sure which ones are best and was wondering if you guys would name some that would best fit my budget.

another option i have instead of the headers, is an electric cutout. i know it will give me the sound, but would this give any performance?

which one would you prefer?

2. Metaluzc

Metaluzc Rockstar 4 Years 100 Posts

For only $200, you will have to find a set of used headers. I haven't ran across any headers that are so cheap brand new. Cutout is for sound, not really any performance.

3. j-schmizzle

j-schmizzle Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

X2. the cutouts is definitely for the sound. as for the headers,you're better off saving a couple more $$ and get the headers that you really want. otherwise, i don't think you'll find one for $200.

4. Silverado1500

Silverado1500 Rockstar 100 Posts

well what are some good headers that would sound nice with a 5.3 silverado

5. j-schmizzle

here are the top brands out there: JBA, Gibson, Pacesetter, BBK, Headman, Thorley & Edelbrock. also, you have to factor the price differences in ceramic coated or not. and also if you want shorty or long tube headers

6. Metaluzc

7. mudislife2

mudislife2 Member

What is the difference between short and long tube headers? What kind of difference does the tube length make?

8. Metaluzc

The basic answer is that long-tube headers provide better/more air flow, which in turns helps the engine breathe better, resulting in greater horsepower. Shorties are better than your stock manifolds though, going with them will help you gain hp also, but not as much as the long-tubes. Shorties provide in the low rpm ranges while long-tubes provide for mid to high rpm ranges. I'm sure other members can give a more detailed explanation.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2010
  9. j-schmizzle

you actually hit it right on the button. :great: if you can run long tube headers where you live and not have to worry about passing a visual/smog check, i'd definitely go for the long tubes.

10. dualdj1

dualdj1 Rockstar 100 Posts

The one other factor is that shorties are generally a direct bolt in replacement for factory manifolds, where as longs require other exhaust fab/work.