1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Headers

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by keegan, Jan 2, 2011.

1. keegan

keegan New Member

can anyone suggest a good set of headers and a good place to order them. also i want shorties with high-flow cats i have a 2010 4.8l 2wd
  2. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Moderator Staff Member ROTM Winner Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

Summitt Racing carries.....Just about Every Header on the Market Today.....Some of the Ones to look at would be....Pacesetter......JBA....Gibson....Edelbrock....to name a few......If all you want are Shortly Headers......Save your Money and buy a Set of Long Tube Headers......With Shortly's the Gains are Small if any.....Long Tube Headers will give you your Best Gains.....with H.P. and M.P.G.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2011
  3. keegan

keegan New Member

do long tube headers reduce torque and eliminate your cats?
  4. randomsandwhich

randomsandwhich New Member

x2 on heartbeat I'm going to go with gibsons when the money tree grows. as far as I know of long tube headers are really just better for everything and they don't eliminate your cats... those two bubble like things you can see from the hood on your chevy are just big baffles.
  5. keegan

keegan New Member

i was always told that short tube headers are better for low to mid range tq and hp which our case because our engines dont rev that high plus i dont plan on going to far into performance with this truck its all just for fun lets face it gas mileage sucks! i only drive it on the weekends
  6. stephan

stephan New Member 1000 Posts

No,,, long tube headers don't reduce torque, they actually produce torque & more of it, lower in the RPM range where you need it than shortys do. Most people never run their street trucks up in the RPM range where shortys might benefit them. Shorty headers are just like throwing your money away like Mike & Sandwich said. The only good thing about shorty headers is that you can tell your friends "hey I got headers" lol
    Stay with 1 1/2' or 1 5/8" diameter primary tubes too. Anything larger is going to hurt you in the lower RPM ranges.
  7. keegan

keegan New Member

thanks for the info but if the the long tubes eliminate the cats im pretty sure i wont pass maryland emissions also do u have to re-locate O2 sensor
  8. stephan

stephan New Member 1000 Posts

They don't eliminate the cats (unless you want to) & there are bungs welded in the headers for your O2 sensors
  9. keegan

keegan New Member

can u use stock cats or do have to go aftermarket and could u suggest any headers
  10. Magna86

Magna86 New Member

No you still have to run cats with the headers. Not sure is the factory cats will bolt or weld up so you may have to buy universal cats. Most states will not allow you to eliminate equipment meant for emissions on vehicles. A good set of headers has the port for an O2 sensor. When you have the exhaust done some kits have the ports for aft cat O2's otherwise the exhaust shop could drill a hole and weld a nut for the sensor to screw. Personally I wouldn't eliminate the cats on newer vehicles because they help the computer keep put engines efficient. Now an old carb big block=no cats! :glasses: