headlight and grill ?

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by quicksilver8817, Jul 22, 2012.

Newest Photos

1. quicksilver8817

quicksilver8817 New Member 100 Posts

i have a 2001 gmc sierra 2500hd and i was was just wondering if 2006 lights and grill fit with no issues.. Id like to order both but im not sure if there is differences between the years .. also if you guys would recommend the projector lights as opposed to the factory lights? thanks..
  2. rileyjr16

rileyjr16 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

99-07 classic GMC lights are the same all. In 03 they re styled the grille and front bumper.

99-02

g65703a-1.jpg

03-07 gmc_sierra_2500_hd_2006_billet_grille_polished_bumper_oem_n_a_na.jpg

Note there are some slight differences. I myself was thinking about putting a 03+ grille on my 99 and maybe even the bumper assembly too
  3. quicksilver8817

headlights great because im in need of those ... any idea if the grill will fit at all ?
  4. rileyjr16

May have a bit of clearance issue with the bottom part of the grille hitting the cap on top of the bumper. If you have a friend with a 03+ throw his/her's on and see if it works out. Not hard taking the grille off and putting it back on so its worth a shot.
  5. quicksilver8817

i probably just going to buy it and try it .. i dont have anyone i know with a gmc unfortunately
  6. rileyjr16

That sucks well if you can find one for DIRT cheap I'd say go for it.
  7. quicksilver8817

also do any of you have the projector lights from ebay and if so how are they?
  8. rileyjr16

[MENTION=50075]SurrealOne[/MENTION] you had some projectors huh?
  9. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I had a set of no-name ones from ebay. I inspected the seals on them before installation and found them to be spotty, at best, so I used a 5 dollar tube of permatex silicon sealant to make sure they were sealed well. Seals are a common problem among the no-name cheapo brands on fleabay, so inspect yours and make sure the lens is sealed onto the body well if you buy some.

Installing them was a snap but aiming them was lame because unlike OEM lights for our vehicles, the no-name ones only had adjustment screws in places one couldn't reach without removing the headlights, making the adjustment, and then reinstalling the headlights. That meant that aiming took 30-45 mins instead of 5-10 mins. However, when the no-names are 1/3 the price of OEM's or name-brand aftermarket headlights, the time is something that's acceptable.

Once I had the units installed and aimed I got to drive with them. The low beams were fine but the high beams were CRAPTASTIC. The lights -looked- great on the truck but the shape of the high beam wells scattered the beams all over the place ... making my high beams useless. Since I do a good bit of driving out in the country where there are few street lights and many, many deer ... this was a dealbreaker for me.

The no-names I had also had 'halos' ... which instead of CCFL's were a plastic ring that spread the light of two very weak LEDs around the low beam projector lens's edge. They looked cheap when they were lit, worked poorly, and within 3 weeks one of the LEDs in one headlight's ring ... burned out. I disconnected them because they were annoying.

I'm now running a set of projectors from a 2004 Yukon Denali in my truck. Being an OEM part the projectors are great, the adjustment mechanism is simple and easy to reach, and the high beams are wonderful. I strongly recommend going with this option rather than the crappy fleabay units. Either a junked set or an aftermarket set from Certifit (or similar OEM-style aftermarket part manufacturer) would be far better than the no-name crud from ebay, IMHO.
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2012
  10. quicksilver8817

well i went with the ebay light kit with headlights and running lights all clear and not projector .. so far i love the the fit great .. the only issue i encountered was the adjusters where not of the best quality but they were placed correctly .. i also got a 5000k hid and its amazing