Headlight fog

Discussion in 'Detailing & Truck Care' started by rileyjr16, Sep 15, 2013.

1. rileyjr16

rileyjr16 New Member

So I bought some headlights and turn signal lights from a 2001 Sierra C3 for 70$. They were of course used and very foggy. Stopped at Walmart for
    some McGuire's Plastix and some turtle wax rubbing compound. Ideally I would use a buffer starting off with the rubbing compound to remove the heavy oxidation. But I went reversed with no buffer. Results came out pretty good. Now all I need is some new signal lights and light bulbs to try and brighten it up a little. But I'm happy with the results so far.

Attached Files:

2. adampaul1964

adampaul1964 New Member

I've found the best way to restore headlights is to wet sand with 1000 grit then 1500 and lastly 2000 grit. Then buff with rubbing compound and finally apply a 50/50 mix of mineral spirits and polyurethane with a folded shop towel, applying with one even, smooth stroke .Here's a pic of my Wife's Grand Prix before we traded it. (One on the left is "before")

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2013
  3. rileyjr16

rileyjr16 New Member

That looks pretty good there Adam. I'm working in a limited environment with limited tools which is why I went the route I chose. Maybe when I get a little more free reign I'll test it out on my old headlights so I don't mess these up lol.
  4. adampaul1964

adampaul1964 New Member

Lol! I know what you mean, I did these in the kitchen while she was at work! And yes I did use the buffer indoors!
  5. rileyjr16

rileyjr16 New Member

Lol I'm living with my buddy in a apartment instead of the ship for now so if it were mine I would try it out