1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Headlight issue

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by Kraziken, Mar 1, 2008.

1. Kraziken

Kraziken New Member 100 Posts

I just replaced my headlight less than a year ago, and the light burned out again last night. I can't recall for sure, but I think this same headlight burned out before that time less than a year, so two headlights in a year and a half?

What could be causing this? Cheap headlights, or is there some other electrical issue I should consider?
  2. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

That's pretty rare to not be a problem unless your neightbor kid is doing something funky to them at night when you're asleep.

Does it do anything before it goes out, light go bright or dim, or does it just go out?
  3. Kraziken

Kraziken New Member 100 Posts

I took a closer look tonight, and it looks like a contact issue. At least last time I didn't check, just put in a new headlight and it worked.

This time I put a new bulb in there and nothing? So I wiggled it around, and sure enough it lit. Looking at the contacts it looks like there is some corrosion going on there. I'll have to find a small brush to clean it out, or maybe I need to remove the connector and get a new one.

The blades that slip into the socket don't seem to have very much tension. I'm guessing a socket in good order will have some type of spring action to squeeze the light bulb prongs.
  4. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Sometimes you can get a small screwdriver, a dental pick, or a soldiering pick in the socket to spread out the contacts so they fit tight again.
    When you put the new headlight in also make sure you put a coating of Dialectic grease on the socket and contacts, this helps prevent shorting and keeps water out. Most auto parts stores have one time use packs for about a $1.25 sitting next to the cash register.
  5. collinsperformance

collinsperformance New Member 100 Posts

you might have the same issue i having---i tracked the issue down. i lost headlamp bulbs 1st then the head light switch was the next thing that went, but the cause was the high/low beam switch on the column. it would stick between high and low beam over heating the on/ off switch and shorting out the bulbs. i am in the middle of replacing the switch and i going to run them to 2 relays that will supply full battery power to the bulbs and not the switches any longer. this will make them brighter and last longer.....mike