Headlight Polishing

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by mrcaddy, Jul 9, 2009.

1. mrcaddy

mrcaddy New Member

Has anyone ever tried to polish the headlights on their truck, such as on my '95 Suburban? What kits have you used? How well did it work? Thanks,Scott
  2. dsfloyd

dsfloyd New Member

The kits you get from autozone, kragen etc only work for a little while. I have used them on the wifes car. I just bought a kit of the web that is supposed to permanantly seal the light and seems to be working well at this point, only like 30 bucks. only been about six months though. I dont remember the name but can look later. the kit comes with enough stuff to do quite a few headlights, probably 5+ sets of lights.
  3. bob13

bob13 New Member

4. tbplus10

tbplus10 Moderator

I used Mcguires Headlight restore kit on my 97 Suburban, 99 Tacoma, and daughters 03 Kia last year, the Tacoma and Kia came out real well and look good to this day, the headlights on the Tacoma actually look clearer than when it was new, the Suburban was ok, the turn signals came out clear but the headlights still have a little haze to them.
  5. 2COR517

2COR517 New Member

6. 97chevz71

97chevz71 New Member

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8D9w3KweSnU"]YouTube - Headlight Haze Removal - Part 1[/ame]
  7. 97chevz71

97chevz71 New Member

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gq23zl5octw"]YouTube - Headlight Haze Removal - Part 2[/ame]
  8. X-Hibition

X-Hibition New Member

I've polished in the past with marginal results and then picked up new lights off of E-Bay. Not that expensive.
  9. jnewkirk77

jnewkirk77 New Member

I had an old $300 Plymouth Sundance (beater) that had foggy headlights. Being naturally cheap with that car, I decided to try simply using wet steel wool -- fine grade -- which worked beautifully. You just have to be careful to keep the water flowing. If you don't care what it looks like, an SOS pad will do, the soap may even have some benefit.

Once I was done with that, I just used masked the front end off, took some clear Walmart spray paint and sprayed that clear on the lenses. It lasted until I sold the car, about 2 years.
  10. Z28Johnny

Z28Johnny New Member

We used some 1500 or 2000 grit sand paper and then polished them up with plastic polish. Worked perfectly. (this was on a Honda Accord, but it should work identically).