Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

headlight switch question?

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by jstephens, Jan 27, 2013.

1. jstephens

jstephens Member

i have a 00 silverado , i have no interior lights on dash, dome light works.. i checked all fuses and they were good. can the dimmer go bad in the headlight switch.? any other problems i should be looking at?

2. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

may be the switch, or you could have a shorted/broken wire.

Alex

3. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

I apprently the switches go bad all the time (mine lasted until a few months ago when the bulb in it went out). But the switch still worked.

This is the delco switch I replaced my old one with:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EQR5YE/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00

Its either going to be the switch, a fuse, or potentially a relay. for $40 I bought the new switch anyway. If you have Amazon Prime, it has free 2 day shipping.

4. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I would put a volt meter on it or with the switch out check the resistance of the switch while moving the dimmer control. Then you will know if you are getting power to the switch and through the switch. There is no point in guessing what the issue may be. It is inevitable that when you just start throwing parts at a problem you will be wrong at least one time and waste money. Being an electrical part most places will not let you return it.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
  5. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Like Pikey stated check the switch, the last 3 trucks I turned over I bought extremely cheap because they had "lighting or electrical issues" that turned out to be bad switch's.
    It's an easy check and an inexpensive repair.

6. ejohnson03

ejohnson03 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Had to replace my headlamp and dimmer switch many times.

This only started after replacing the stock (55watt) Headlamp bulbs with Xenon (100watt) bulbs.

The switch kept melting.

Finally installed a set of relays between the switch and the headlamps.

Switch runs cool and the headlamps run bright.

7. j cat

j cat Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

sure the dimmer /dimmer sw can go bad. If this suddenly failed I would check the illum 10A fuse. this feeds the interior dash lamps. now if the fuse is blown and the new 10A fuse blows again then you got to find the short.. good luck .

if you use a bigger fuse then you will destroy the headlight sw assy.

8. jstephens

jstephens Member

its the switch, i put one out of my jimmy and everything lit up

9. shibby2oo8

shibby2oo8 Member 2 Years 100 Posts

This is why i ALLWAYS use relays when adding non oem lights. Is it just the cluster lights or the whole dash?

10. jstephens

jstephens Member

the whole damn dash lit up like a christmas tree lol. dimmer must of been bad