1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

headlight tint film.........FAIL

Discussion in 'Detailing & Truck Care' started by wheeler32686, Jan 8, 2013.

1. wheeler32686

wheeler32686 New Member 100 Posts

so i bought some headlight tint film and completely failed on the install. i used soapy water, a squeegee, a hair dryer, and all my patience. one hour went by and i thought i did a great job... yes i thought. when i peeled off the outer layer i revealed many air bubbles i didnt see, and the edges started to peel up. damn. i tried but couldnt get te bubbles out, so i ripped it off and threw it away. next i started over and repeated all of what you just read.. anyone here have any better luck with this stuff or is this typical for someone without experience in tint film? if you did do it successfully, what did you do to get it to look good
  2. Kady

Kady New Member 100 Posts

Just so you know, even when you tint windows, you need to give it 48-72 hours for all the bubbles to come out... Longer in colder temperature. Maybe try to give it a few days before you rip it off next time?

Also, if you want the tinted look, with out using the lens covers that block the light, i've seen people use black pantie hose, and put it around the whole headlight housing. I've never done it myself, but when I saw it a few years ago, i thought it was a pretty neat idea....
  3. wheeler32686

maybe next time i guess. as for the panty hose thing, well i wont be doing that. i'll most likely just keep em stock now and get new lights somewhere down the line
  4. 1BadSierra2011

1BadSierra2011 New Member

I used the Tail light paint to paint my old headlights, worked fine! when i took it off to sell it, i just got acetone and it came right off! and looked clearer than it did when i put the stuff on..hmm. :lol:
  5. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Buy VHT Nightshades and some clear coat. Here are some videos of how to use it (done on tails, but works for headlights, too):

6. wheeler32686

i have looked into it and i see they have the smoke tint as well, which would be my choice so i may have to give it a shot. by the way thats a pretty sweet ride you got there.
  7. BB496ci

BB496ci New Member

I have used Night-Shade on my lights before, looks great for a little while, until you start having rocks and bugs come up and hit your lights. It chips right off. I made the mistake one day washing my truck by hitting it with a pressure washer by accident... I gave up on the night shade for my head lights, and forked out the $150 for smoked Headlights, parking lights and smoked projector foglights off of ebay. NO more chipping and if you look at my pics, they look great!
  8. Kady

Kady New Member 100 Posts

Agreed~ They're cheap enough of ebay for the whole set, and then you always have the spare OEM set in case you get into an accident, hit a deer, sell it, or for whatever reason you want to put it back to stock.
  9. nikkeshelton

nikkeshelton New Member 100 Posts

There is a product called headlight armor. It is easy to install Use a heat gun on the more contoured lights like my wife's xc-90. My sierra was easy. It's thick so it protects the light. Very forgiving stuff.
  10. 1BadSierra2011

1BadSierra2011 New Member

Really? I never had that issue with nightshade? That's what I was referring to just couldn't remember the name the "purple can" as I know it. I had it on my current trucks stock tail lights, and on all the lights on my old duramax, lasted till the day I sold it. That's weird.